Author Topic: Some neat documents I am proud of!  (Read 3673 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
Some neat documents I am proud of!
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »
I won some very old documents in an auction that I am very proud of. I should have won some civil war ones too but they had issues with the online bidding and my over bidding did not take! I was very upset. They went too quick and did not even wait 2 seconds for it to show up. It even shows I was the high bidder but the person on the floor won for much less. Oh but  I did get some very cool old newspapers from the early 1800's. I am happy about that, because one of them mentions people of the revolutionary war and another has an entire print up of a famous murder that was never solved. It was coverage of one of the trials for it and boy did they print everything from that trial, every single word that was said from beginning to end. It was very interesting. I haven't read the entire thing yet.

Well I am glad I got these, although the condition is not that great. They are 1818 Writ of Attachments - New Hampshire and the years are 1817 & 1818. I love them because they are so old. I can't hardly read what is said on them, but I don't care really.  However, one question for everyone though. They look to have attached to them what looks to be a hand written check. Did they have checks in those days? Did they hand write them out (not pre printed)?

I am attaching the photos of a couple of the documents.

Thanks all! I have been very ill so I haven't been on for awhile (another issue found) plus now I have the flu.
 (a few random photos of the different ones) They show a lot of age to them.  The one photo has one of the pieces attached (it is upside down, don't know how that happened) that I thought might be a check.

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Ipcress

Re: Some neat documents I am proud of!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »
Both William Shaw and Jonathan Colcord, mentioned on these documents, are named on this web page regarding the mills in New Hampshire at the beginning of the 19th century. Somersworth is the area and is also mentioned on those documents

http://www.oldberwick.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=245:-the-landing-mill-and-its-time&catid=52:trades-a-occupations&Itemid=71

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24:43 am »
Can`t make heads or tales of the upside down one !!  If you feel better,, try to get it upright !!  So sorry you have not been well,, and the flu on top of that is not fun !!  Will say a prayer you feel better soon !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:32:24 am »
Thank you for that information Ipcress! I really do appreciate that! :) Mart, yes, I definitely will do that. I could have swore I took it the right way. Goes to show you how sick I have been, ha ha. :)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:42:45 am »
I just read that information on that webpage! That is very interesting reading! Thank you again! Also, Mart, I just looked at that again and it looks to be a promissary note. They promise to pay the named person whatever amount they wrote (there are a few of them in there). Maybe because I am starting to get over this flu, my eyes are focusing a little better. I am trying to make out what these documents say. Maybe with a little time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:51:58 am by xmelax38 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:22:15 am »
A promissary note would have been common for the time !!  Glad your feeling better !!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:50 am »
Can`t make heads or tales of the upside down one !!  If you feel better,, try to get it upright !!  So sorry you have not been well,, and the flu on top of that is not fun !!  Will say a prayer you feel better soon !!

Portsmouth 1817
I promise to pay William Shaw nine dollars in six months from date

Jonathan Colcord

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:56 am »
I'd like to see a clearer image of the other one

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
Okay, I will try to take more photos a little later on. I was going to say that you sure do have great eyesight to see that! Even, I was looking at my pic on here, thinking: "I don't know how anyone is going to be able to read that". Good eyes, lol!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:48:12 pm »
Here are a few other photos of them. I am not sure if these are the same or different than above. I tried to take different views.  My camera is not working, so I had to take with my ipod and they didn't come out too great. :)

A lot of photos, lol. I did take a bunch of them, these are just a few views. I didn't want to crowd up the page, ha ha. :)

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:24 pm »
and more:

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:24:52 pm »
Ephraim Butler
Warren Smith
Jacob Hurley

Document signed by Justice Of The Peace, Joseph Doe - mentioned on that link from the other day and related to Chief Justice Charles Doe

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:59:44 pm »
Thank you so much! That helps a lot! That name Ephraim was definitely a popular name back then. My husband has about 30 ancestors that I know of named Ephraim.  I am going to try and sell one of them and I am keeping/framing the rest. I wish there was a better way to preserve them so I can pass them on to my son when I pass away.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:15:13 pm by xmelax38 »