Author Topic: WWII Helmet that I had spoke of on an earlier post  (Read 5152 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
WWII Helmet that I had spoke of on an earlier post
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:54 pm »
Hi me again! :) :) I had asked under the rules part, if it was okay to post a photo of this helment and one person said go ahead and post it. I never got around to it until today. My husband bought this at an auction for $100. He knows that this kind of this stuff is often faked. We were just wondering if anyone knew about this type of thing and could tell us something about it. One thing that really makes him question it, is that where the lining split open in the sticker said "made in Japan".
Here are the photos:

Thanks to all of you for any help or insight you have. :) I really do appreciate you very much!
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Ipcress

Re: WWII Helmet that I had spoke of on an earlier post
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »
Looks genuine to me. Third Reich Fire Police helmet. Double decals - swastika on one side, the Reichsadler on the other, missing the rivets to the sides but looks good.

Not worth as much as the Heer / Army helmets, or the SS ones, but still nice.

Although, what's beneath the inner that we can't see in the image ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:50:59 pm by Ipcress »

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »
My husband & I thank you very much for that! He said that was so nice of you to help us with that information. He was hoping it was real. He was hoping it was the $100 he paid for it. He has been collecting in different areas. It keeps him busy on the weekends moving his stuff around in his collections room and finding different ways to display. He has found some gems and some things that may not have been worth what he paid for them.  We are not a fan of the nazi stuff, but it is collectible as we know and may be a future investment down the road when time to retire, lol. So we don't have a bunch of nazi stuff laying around our house.

Thanks again! We really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:56:18 pm by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:32:29 pm »
I would agree with Ipcress..as the Wehrmacht stahlhelm....did not have the double air vents...the helmet is around 1939/42.ish..as it has a rolled edge...later ones had the single edge...as metal got scarcer...as to the liner having ..made in Japan...this is ok..Japan was an Allie....had it said made in China...then i would have been saying...bin it...as for Not having Nazi stuff laying around your house...??....Its a part of history..and its memorabilia...is very collectable...I have some Nazi.. items here...that are quite  valuable...and their provenance is without question....they belonged to my late Father..who came to Scotland as a POW..
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:22:15 am »
Great information and so appreciated! It helps a lot as at the auction the guy didn't know much about it. Do you all think it was worth the 100 dollars he paid for it? :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 05:42:07 am »
Over here..they don,t sell for a lot...but having said that..if the decals are genuine...and with the fact that its got its original liner...then a $100..is,nt a bad price

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:36 am »
I have a slight doubt about the Eagle / Reichsadler decal but i've seen enough to know some of them are not as detailed as others.

And if you're going to fake a helmet , you fake an SS or Heer helmet. Not fire police  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:46:02 am »
Well worth it!

Wow, Wullie, your dad was a POW!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:50 pm »
Yes KC..he came to Scotland in 1946...his Division...which was the Galician Division...best Google that..as i don,t want to upset anyone...well..not that way.....surrendered to the American...at Feldbach in Austria..in 1945...and he was imprisoned along with his comrades in Rimini..in Italy...then they were shipped out...some to the UK...some to Canada...and the rest to the US...where,they were put to work..and many of them.. like my father.. met a local women...got married and were able to stay in the country...many of my fathers friends..and  descendants live in St Charles, Illinois..if you want any further info..just ask...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »
St. Charles Illinois is about 7 hours from here. Looks like a nice place.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »
Well thats where the Ukrainian and German POW,s belonging to the Galician Div...ended up...as i said just google the Galician...and you,ll find...everything you want to know...as a matter of interest..they were the only division..within the German army..who did not swear allegiance..to A.H.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »
Yes KC..he came to Scotland in 1946...his Division...which was the Galician Division...best Google that..as i don,t want to upset anyone...well..not that way.....surrendered to the American...at Feldbach in Austria..in 1945...and he was imprisoned along with his comrades in Rimini..in Italy...then they were shipped out...some to the UK...some to Canada...and the rest to the US...where,they were put to work..and many of them.. like my father.. met a local women...got married and were able to stay in the country...many of my fathers friends..and  descendants live in St Charles, Illinois..if you want any further info..just ask...

Your Dad was fortunate that he ended up where he did. I've read about the fate of so many POWs after the war elsewhere.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 02:11:19 pm »
Yes I would say he was very lucky..to have survived fighting on the Eastern Front...but his real good fortune came when his commanding officer..made contact with the Americans in Austria,and asked them if the would willing to accept over 8000..Ukrainian/German troops..as POW,s...lucky for him and them..the Americans said yes......had they surrendered to the British...they would have been sent to Russia..and certain death...as Churchill had made a deal with Stalin...to return any non ethnic Germans.or non Germans .who were captured wearing a German uniform...this included Ukrainians, Rumanians,Hungarians..

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:31:40 pm »
Yes, they were luckier than those 6 million jews. My grandfather brought home some things from POWS during the war. He traded for their pins on their uniforms. I don't know what he traded. He was a Merchant Marine. If that's the right term. I was under the assumption that these items weren't as collectible in the U.S., or people were less likely to purchase.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:34:32 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
An SS auction here in Ohio went for $1700. We were pretty surprised by it.  It was in really good shape. BigWull a lot of history it sounds like in your family. :)