Author Topic: Old door?  (Read 3410 times)

BusDriverBen

• View Profile
Old door?
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:37:18 am »
Hey all!  As I said when I first joined a couple weeks ago, I'm just getting into buying abandoned storage lockers, and can't wait to see all the good stuff!  (and maybe some bad...)

I bought one a couple days ago with this hinged door, or room divider, or w/e it is....  I'm sure it's old, since there's not a screw on it.  It's all bolts and nuts!  Is this piece as a whole, or even just the hardware something I should try selling, or just burn it as old junk?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Old door?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:15:54 am »
Too much work to restore, so I'd sell it for a pittance or burn it.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:29:43 am »
Apparently, an old fir/pine sectional door that has seen better days. You could dismantle it and probably sell the individual sections to someone to re-purpose.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:03:50 am »
Personally,, I would remove all the hardware and dead bolt,, they will sell !!! Then get hot dogs and buns,,,,!!!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »
I would try and sell as is list as shabby chic , People are using them as headboards I would link some photos like this with your selling add
http://pinterest.com/pin/91197961175394341/      :D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:52:12 pm »
I agree with some of the above... Do resell...and make it into TWO sections.  You will make more money selling it for Two two-piece sections than for the whole thing...even if someone wants to buy both sections to make the headboard.

Me/my friends are big Pinterest enthusiasts...and I have over 8,000 followers on my repurposed doors/shutters/windows sections.  So, yes people are nuts over it!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:54 pm »
What is Pinterest KC ?? Is it a sale site ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
LOVE pinterest!! Kc please send me a link to your page!!

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:31 pm »
Definitely do not throw it out or burn it! Plenty of people enjoy pieces that show their age, adds character I say. If we wanted something that looked brand new, we'd buy new things.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »
You are right !! But this one is not old, nor is it well done !! You could spend some money and time and re-do it but it still would not be an easy sell !!  Would you use it as it is in your house ?? Most would not !!  There are times when you have to pick and choose !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 07:42:28 pm »
considering its got a miss mash..of hardware...i.e. up and over lock..on bi-fold doors..roofing bolts holding the hinges on...doors in a really distressed state...more trouble than its worth.....one for my woodburner....or as Mart said...BBQ..fuel... .
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:43:16 pm »
I wouldn't use it as is, but my husband could fix it up and we'd find a use for it. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations though since I'm not the one who does the fixing up.

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:46:56 pm »
...also I guess you'd have to enjoy the project. The effort it would take to make it worth buying to most people probably is not worth it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 07:53:33 pm »
Since this person is buying storage units and he is new to most of this,, its to his advantage to learn where his time and money are best spent !! I assume he intends to make a profit on his purchases !! Had it been something else that he could have actually made money on, I would have said, go for it !!

BusDriverBen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:54 pm »
Hey, sorry, I've been out all day, and not able to respond.  Great answers all around everybody.  Thanks so much for your advice!

I somewhat agree with Mart, in that I just need to turn this stuff around as quick as I can, while still making a profit.  I'm renting my own 12'X25' storage unit (filled wall to wall right now) in the mean time for $250 a month, just to hold stuff until I can sell it.  So time IS important!  However, if just one person on this forum thinks it might sell, it might be worth posting it up for a couple days, since there's bound to be others out there.  I've sold just a couple small pieces of furniture so far, and made my investment back, so now I'm all profit!  Should I maybe post this door for $20?  $30, $50, $100?  Any shots in the dark?