Author Topic: Help with a Russian Samovar  (Read 4182 times)

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
Help with a Russian Samovar
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »
I bought what was labeled as a coffee maker at an antique shop some time ago. It's in pretty bad shape, but I thought it was interesting, and clearly for tea (which I love) and so I scooped it right up. It has only one marking on it, and it's pretty difficult to make out. I can't read all of the letters, but there is the profile of a bearded man on either side.  Hence, it's taken me a long time just to find out that this coffee maker is actually a samovar. I'd like to know its approximate age, and where it came from. Any help would be appreciated, be it actual information or just links to where I may find information myself. Thanks! ( I have taken pictures, don't see a place to upload them though)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a Russian Samovar
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:01:18 pm »
Additional Options...is where you go with your pics....we are all waiting....impatien tly  ;)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:25:00 pm »
Wow, this is harder for me than it should be. My pictures won't upload, they're the wrong format. I'll try to upload some soon.

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »
Hopefully these work. Thanks for telling me where to go to add pictures by the way.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:24:49 pm »
i can make out...Mohammed Ghamrh***...which would indicate...North African...origin... or full Asian...will try and decifer...the last name...it appears to have been silver plated at some point in the distant past...probably a local..make...this last name...is bugging me....i need some help here....Help!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:36:02 pm by bigwull »

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 04:57:14 pm »
Wow you have good eyes! I can't even tell you how many times I've looked at that thing and just walked away because I had no clue, beyond that first word starts with an M. Being North African makes sense. Everything I'm finding says that they are Russian, but the image doesn't fit in with mine being from Russia.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:33:41 pm »
My eyes are old...but my specs are new..... :D...Russian Samovar,s..are usually very ornate...this..one is i,m sure from..an African country..bordering the Med...

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:51:14 pm »
this one may put the cat among the pigeons...same bearded man head.....and similar design...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Russian-Samovar-/251214429292?pt=UK_Antiques_Other_RL&hash=item3a7d8bfc6c

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 06:12:55 pm »
From what i,ve found..yours appears to be a Rounded Taper...Samovar...m ost like nickel plated...They use them in Turkey...but the Turks use latin.inscriptions. ...The Egyptians, Libyans, Moroccans,Algerians,...Iran, Afghanistan...Iraq. ..in fact the whole of N Africa, Middle east,....take your pick....the fact that it has a bearded man,s head may indicate that its from one of the muslim.countries that was  a part of the old..USSR...Uzbekis tan...,Kazakhstan...

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:23:17 pm »
Not the same bearded man head.

The one on Ebay is by Batashev. I've sold one before and there's little chance of it fetching £1,000. They're generally a few hundred on a good day if in excellent condition

The one in this thread is very basic and worth little but probably makes great tea.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »
i was using it metaphorically...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
Not too familiar with them but guessing this is one is from Turkey !! Or at least that area !!  A pretty common type from what I found !!
Thing about ebay is,, you can ask what ever you want,, getting it is something else !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
Too true Mart...and it only takes one...to buy...

SuzyQ82

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
Thanks! You've managed to figure out much more than I was able to. Mine is worth absolutely nothing. It's in miserable shape. I paid $20 for it and if I were comfortable with haggling I'm sure I could've paid considerably less. I don't care about monetary value, I think it's gorgeous. I actually left the store because I thought it was overpriced but I couldn't get it out of my head and I had to go back and get it. I appreciate your taking an interest in it too!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »
If I ever found something like that I would probably buy it too !!  But chances of a samovar showing up here in my part of Texas are slim and none !!!