Author Topic: Interesting Book Story.  (Read 10175 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Interesting Book Story.
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 09:16:30 am »
That Global Warming is making my furnace work overtime this morning, .......

It is now 4 AM and my thermometer dial is sitting on 7 F.

It will probably drop a couple more degrees between now and daylight. 

Thought you were in Florida ??  Hate to say it but here maybe 35 F at night and 60`s 70`s daytime !! Been wanting to dig in the garden in this weather !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 09:18:22 am »
They say early bird catches the worm! ;D It is rather chilly out. It snowed last night.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:41:14 am »

That Global Warming is making my furnace work overtime this morning, .......

It is now 4 AM and my thermometer dial is sitting on 7 F.

It will probably drop a couple more degrees between now and daylight. 

4 a.m.? You're awfully early!

Always have been, or as long as I can remember being, that is. And that is when I was 5 years old.

I hardly ever slept more than 5 to 6 hours. Even nowdays, if I fall asleep at say 8 pm watching TV ... I will wake up and be turning the coffee pot on by 1 am.   

Thought you were in Florida ??  Hate to say it but here maybe 35 F at night and 60`s 70`s daytime !!

Nah, center of West Virginia, ..... 2 of the wife's daughters live in Fl. But I did l spend 20 years way Upstate NY, like 63' until 83'.

And yup, the temp dropped to 5 F by daylight ..... but a heat wave moved in  ;D ;D and its back up to 24 F now... and now is 12:30 pm

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 11:45:26 am »
Oh !!  That explains the frigid temp !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 01:36:54 pm »
We got a Standard Poodle years back (they do not shed like most breeds so great for indoors) and have been TOTALLY pleased with them since.  Uber intelligent and Quick to Learn, Loyal and great protectors (they will bite) but they get bored easily and are extremely mischievous! 

We can't have them out when young children are in the pool or lake - they always jump in and drag them to "safety".  They have an innate desire to "save" young ones.  All our friends what have them have the same situation happen.

Used in war to guard US facilities.  Didn't make it to the top 5 war dogs because of maintenance (clipping) and are high relationship dogs.  It's "fancy" Poodle cut came about from preservation not for looks!  They are hard working water dogs and used a couriers during the war in France.  They were shaved (their heavy fur can become very heavy with water) to streamline for couriering and after coming out of the water their joints would freeze up.  So, the fur was left longer on the joints and brain!  Thus, the French Poodle Cut! 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:02 pm »
I love that story KC. I've trying to collect antique dog postcards with pictues depicting service dogs for my husband. Some have become so exspensive. The "Pitbull postcards I would like to start a page to show the characters of "Pits", so people don't fear them so much. There's a card I am interested in buying where the Pit is a courageous fire dog. It's not in great shape so I haven"t made a decission yet.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:39 pm »
although the Poodle is often called French..its actually German...and dates back to the 1500

Group: Non-sporting (Standard / Miniature)
& Toy (Toy)
Country of origin: Germany
Date of origin: 1500′s
Originally bred for: Water retriever / Companion
Current function: Companion
Size: Large
Coat length: Medium
Shedding: No
Grooming requirements: Daily
Town or Country: Either
Ideal home: (Large house) & (Apartment /
Small or Large house)
Minimum garden size: Small / Medium
Exercise requirements: Up to 1 hour per day
Lifespan: Over 10 year
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D You know your dogs I see.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:41:17 pm »
I did know they originated in Germany!  Should have put that!  Give credit where credit is due. The French seem to get get the (unsaid) credit for it!  :O
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »
;D ;D ;D You know your dogs I see.
Na...courtesy of ..Wikipedia.... ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 03:56:31 pm »
Have you ever seen this picture of a pit bull from a farm in Texas?  Always liked it!

From a book called "Unlikely Friendships"  Chicks perch on a Siamese-snowshoe cat, who keeps the little ones in a line with her nose, and a pit bull, who is a loving father figure to many animals on their Texas farm.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
Its hard to believe that..this breed originally came from the UK...circa 1800,s...yet is now banned in the UK...under the Dangerous Dog act...this came to pass in 1991...and anyone caught with one..or even a cross bred..is liable to a hefty fine...or even imprisonment...In Germany...if you want.what is classed as a dangerous breed..then when the dog is 9months..it has to be tested @a cost of 200eoro,s paid by the owner...for aggressiveness...if it fails the test..no dog...

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »
Love that picture KC. The dog looks like it had ACL surgery if you look closely. I've had a lot of experience with this topic. My female has had the same surgery on both knees. Poodles are the smartest dogs on the dog chain. Pits are 66. That's our family joke with "Butch" when he does something silly. We tell him it's okay he's nummber 66 on the brain chain.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 10:03:25 pm »
LOL!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 03:53:54 pm »
Never had a mean pit bull !! Temperment and aggressiveness is a people problem,more than a dog problem !!  The way I have seen some of these dogs being kept ( 5 ft chain big enough to hold an elephant, no human contact) I can`t say I blame the dog !! Pits are family type dogs and love people, they need to be part of the family !!
Meanest dog I ever had was a pointer bird dog !!  She didn`t like anybody !!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:46:29 pm by mart »