Author Topic: Chest of drawers  (Read 1896 times)

Raquels1972

• View Profile
Chest of drawers
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
Hi All,
I bought this sideboard/chest of drawers?? from a court of protection recently. It was an old ladies who had passed away and was left in her house, so solicitors stepped in and sold her items towards her estate.When i saw the picture of it, i loved the size and that's what initially drew me to it along with the 6 bun feet and the chunkiness of the piece.
I am just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it as it has no makers plate inside and i have no idea of the style therefore age. It is the age really i am after please.
It has bun feet, walnut front to four of the drawers and what looks like art deco type handles. These may not be original handles as it looks like someone has taken off protection plates behind and maybe replaced handles at that time (or not)?
I would like to renovate and tidy it up as it looks like it will still outlive me?!!
Many thanks for any help and please refer to attached pics!

Raquels.

Ipcress

Re: Chest of drawers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:45 pm »
More pics would be nice !

Raquels1972

• View Profile
Other pics hopefully!!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »
The other pictures....hopeful ly!!
Sorry!  :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12:30 pm »
looks like its had a hard life....that bottom rail looks to have had a multitude of little feet standing on it..in order that the prying little fingers could get into the top drawer...speaking of drawers...where,s the front of the lower right...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »
Do you have the pieces that are missing from the pic?

This could clean up beautifully.  Can't tell much from the pics being dark!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:57:31 pm »
Pics are awfully dark but looks like 30`s era Empire revival !!  Front detail is pressed into the wood !! Good storage with a little TLC !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »
The massing of the piece does look to be early 20th century. The ornament seems conservative.

I'd get the drawer front rebuilt, then - I hate to say it - refinish the whole thing in dark walnut. Could be quite handsome once it's done.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:48:49 pm »
The piece is almost in the Jacobean or William and Mary Revival style from around 1900 but not quite. The hardware is that style but the feet are not right. I would like to see the back and the joining of the drawer fronts.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »
We have had a few lately with the W&M drop pulls !! Companies must have bought a bunch on sale !! My oak library table from the 30`s also has them !!

Raquels1972

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:05:24 pm »
Hey all!
Thanks ever so much for all your comments and help with my chest of drawers. I am going to take it out to the garage tomorrow so will take some extra pics. I do have the other drawer that was missing in the photo and its in order. I will take pictures of the drawers as requested.
My thoughts are to strip it down to bare wood, fix problems, find handles to match ones on now (2 missing) and maybe wax or varnish it if it comes up tidy enough as top is showing much lighter wood underneath where it has worn over the years!
Couldn't agree more on the hard life it has had comment!! But I like things that are rough around the edges! Lol! ::)
Thanks again to all and if anyone thinks I should be doing something different than a strip down then Let me know as I'm a complete newbie at this game but want this to sit in my hall for years and can't put it there looking as scruffy and unloved as it does now!
Rachel's.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 08:35:00 pm »
I normally do not recommend it but in this instance I would do the same !! You can strip but try to skip the sanding if possible !! If not possible just lightly hand sand and apply a wood conditioner before the final finish so it all stains evenly or whatever you choose to do !! It looks like walnut so it will be a darker wood even if no stain is used !!   Check ebay for the pulls you need !! If you cant find the exact ones you need try to get a close match and measure the drop to make sure you get the correct length !!  When you put them on the chest,, Move the lower ones to the top if needed and put the two replacements on either side of the bottom drawers one on same place on each side !! They are usually not even noticed there as being different !!  Hope that made sense to you !!  Keep us updated on your progress !!