Author Topic: Pewter Whale Oil Lamp - 1781  (Read 4132 times)

Guppyfry

• View Profile
Pewter Whale Oil Lamp - 1781
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. Wonder if you can give me some general info and maybe a ball park value for this Pewter Whale Oil Lamp.  I believe it came from Germany.

It is about 14 inches (35 cm) tall. The bottom is a bit wrinkled and deformed.

Numerals on the side of the reservoir. I think it was used as a clock?

Date etched on the base.  Was it common practice to date pieces at that time?

Screws apart into three parts:

A closer look at the bulb and wick.

Thanks!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Pewter Whale Oil Lamp - 1781
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:58 pm »
Welcome to the group. That's an uncommon lamp to have survived in that condition. The date is an added bonus to anything from that era.

Value? I've seen them offered up to $500+ by dealers. I would think yours would be worth close to that, if you could find a collector.

Thanks for sharing.

Scroll down to mid-page to read more about them:
http://www.westsea.com/tsg3/catlocker/cat18chart.htm

Guppyfry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:14 pm »
Oh wow! Didn't think they would be rare!  Thanks for finding my lamp on the internet.  My mother brought the lamp back from Germany, many years ago, and explained what it was ( I was still a child then).  I had never seen anything else that looked like it since, except for the pic in the site you linked - surprised that mine looks cleaner and in better condition. It has always just been out on display, and survived a gazillion moves.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHALE-OIL-LAMP-CLOCK-NIGHT-LIGHT-GERMAN-PEWTER-GLASS-LATE-18TH-CENTURY-/150923648871?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item2323c01f67&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:GB:101
Found quite a few similar lamps !! However I am not yet figuring the number system !! Most I have found are numbered differently than yours !!  The one above is a similar design !! Just google "pewter whale oil lamp clocks" and you will see a  bunch of them !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:04:50 pm »
Don,t ya just love this place....one minute you,re thinking....wow..."its rare..and valuable"...then along comes Mart...who,s on dial up...cause she,s like me....lives in the boonies....and ..hits you with the £84 ...rare German whale oil lamp.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:59:39 pm »
Don,t ya just love this place....one minute you,re thinking....wow..."its rare..and valuable"...then along comes Mart...who,s on dial up...cause she,s like me....lives in the boonies....and ..hits you with the £84 ...rare German whale oil lamp.... ;D

I may look at things differently, but I would rather pay top dollar for a dated example of anything in excellent condition...as opposed to a piece that has been broken and soldered for a fourth of that price.

Boonies?...Hey, look out my window: ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:15:44 pm »
we would all do that...but the first lamp...does have crumpling?...and is deformed....but having said that..if you are into ...having "a whale of a time".... :D...then this would be the preferred choice....Oh!...after the 30th...we will no longer be in the boonies....we,re becoming toonies....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:40 am »

I may look at things differently, but I would rather pay top dollar for a dated example of anything in excellent condition...as opposed to a piece that has been broken and soldered for a fourth of that price.

Boonies?...Hey, look out my window: ;D

Darn,, whats hay bringing up there ??

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:04 am »
Darn,, whats hay bringing up there ??

I just talked to a fellow that sold and delivered a load (within 10 miles) of big round upland for $50 / bale.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 02:12:03 am »
Sounds like he got the hay free and just paid for hauling it. ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:11 am »
We got $65 for first cutting and 50 for later hay !! We fertilize/poison regularly so its pretty much weed free !! Kept 17 large rolls for our horses !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:18 am »
The pic is gorgeous!

Glad you were able to sell yours!

Our family just sold a wheat farm in Ok that we have leased out for years....at a big loss.  But, fortunately the families that bought will be able to work the land and make a decent living for themselves!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:03:52 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:34 am »
Ours is coastal and common Bermuda with a little bit of rye and bahia thrown in so we usually have no trouble selling it !! Shipped a load of second cutting to Oklahoma !!  He said hay was scarce and expensive up there !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:32 pm »
Great to hear Mart!

Guppyfry, did you get it to resale or is it a family piece?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!