Author Topic: Children's costumes in old photo postcard?  (Read 4163 times)

hettie2000

Children's costumes in old photo postcard?
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:43:01 pm »
Hi, I just bought a batch of photos and postcards (in the UK) and this was among them - I like it so much I'm going to keep it! It looks like it was taken around 1900-ish to me. There was a second card with the same back drop, different family, but dressed in sailor suits... which helps date it. I'm guessing these particular children were dressed up to the nines compared to most!

Does anyone know about dress and costumes? I'm especially interested in the necklace/pendants? Was this a particular fashion at the time?

Just looking for insight really.... the little boy sat on the left looks quite naughty to me, haha.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Children's costumes in old photo postcard?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 03:47:41 pm »
there is someone on here that may be able to help...she,is well into this sort of thing...Talesof...w here art thou
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:49:41 pm »
Agree on the date.

As for questions regarding costumes/clothes,  you'd best direct those to Talesofthesevenseas .
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

hettie2000

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:52:40 pm »
Thanks for the speedy replies :) Fingers crossed that Talesof sees my post!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »
Postcards are becoming very collectible. Your postcard could be worth $15.00-$20.00 give or take. The time period I'll leave to Tales. ;D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:06:05 pm »
Great photo! Are you on Facebook? I would run this by the historic costumers/reenactors in a group called The Victorianist Society. They are very good and know this time period very well. I don't know boys clothing very well, so I would let them make the determination. Join up with the group and post the photo, you'll get a quick answer I'm sure:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/118483141564861/
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:11:55 pm »
The older kids look like they may be wearing private academy uniforms. The smaller child in the Buster Brown outfit is dressed like well off kids from around 1900.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:50 pm »
Both the girls have the same necklace,, don`t they ??  Looks like a key of some sort !!

hettie2000

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 04:36:44 am »
Thanks everyone!

talesofthesevenseas (love the name) - yes, I'm on facebook so will do as you suggest - many thanks for your input. And glad you like the photo :)

Frogpatch, I hadn't thought about it being a uniform of some kind but that makes a lot of sense!

greenacres, I'm going to keep the card but a rough value is very welcome :D. I did pop it on eBay, then took it off again... glad I did now!

mart, the older children look like boys to me but the outfits are quite feminine aren't they? I think the Victorians often put boys in dresses but they were usually younger than this (so I guess the baby could also be a boy). It's very dark at the bottom of the image and I've tried to lighten it but can't see any real detail.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:48 am »
Makes me think of a religious pendant.  Just really odd that two are wearing the same pendant so definitely some significance.

Do believe the two older are girls...Have pics of my ancestors back from that time period too.  They did dress boys in feminine looking christening gowns and some outfits.  But the boy on the left indicates that they are dressing to gender designation.  Doesn't look like a uniform to me...just outfit of the time.  We dressed our girls in matching outfits many times and our boys as well...crazy parents have done this over time!  :)

Let us know if you find out anything from the Victorian group!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hettie2000

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:36 am »
Thanks KC - I'll report back with anything I find out!

The brooch at the throat of the older children would suggest they were girls, too. It's quite a gothic look they have going on! And you maybe right about the pendant having some religious significance... they do look like an ornate cross... difficult to tell convincingly though. I've been looking around the web for anything similar but have found nothing so far.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:16:20 pm »
At first I thought it was sterling silver "Jensen" piece. but now that you mention it, KC, it looks like the 10 commandments in the center.

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:04 pm »
Thanks KC - I'll report back with anything I find out!

The brooch at the throat of the older children would suggest they were girls, too. It's quite a gothic look they have going on! And you maybe right about the pendant having some religious significance... they do look like an ornate cross... difficult to tell convincingly though. I've been looking around the web for anything similar but have found nothing so far.

Is the postcard British ?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 07:16:58 pm »
I searched Victoriana magazine and a dozen other places and could not find any style of 19th or early 20th century garb like those two children are wearing. I will hold to my belief they are school uniforms, Probably Catholic from the pendants. I have seen key shaped Catholic pendants before. I hope someone can clear his one up.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »