Author Topic: Rum elephant charm  (Read 5702 times)

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
Rum elephant charm
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:22:41 pm »
I collect elephants from super old t new, jewelry to toy... Pretty much EVERYTHING! I found a vintage elephant charm I have decided I have to have! It is a rum bottle charm that opens to revel an elephant on some of them the elephant is pink. I found a silver one on ebay for $20 or a little more but it was already sold, now there is a pure gold one with pink elephant that is $377. I would love any information about this piece from who manufactured it and how many of them exist or even where I might be able to find one. I really want one that is a original vintage piece but my family just said have one made but it isn't the same! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Rum elephant charm
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 02:41:39 pm »
@ 1/2in dia x 1/4in thick...and a combined weight of 4.4g...$377 seems to be an awful lot of $$..for something so tiny...and as for being rare...well...maybe ...i only found 2....but it does,nt mean..that it is very rare...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:39:59 pm »
$397 on Ebay. " Vintage " ? Looks modern with the elephant dipped in pink cough medicine or blancmange.

I would say this is not vintage and although you like elephants, it would be a waste of money and a poor investment.

http://www.easyliveauction.com/

Go there and search upcoming online auction catalogues for similar items or anything Elephantine  ;D

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:46:52 pm »
I am never planning to pay that much at all I have seen them go for much less mainly i just wonder who makes them and where else to find them but i have had no luck! If they aren't reasonably priced I have no intention of buying them (why i havent bought the one i found it isnt worth that much at all!!) I just want to find more that are priced right

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:08 pm »
I am never planning to pay that much at all I have seen them go for much less mainly i just wonder who makes them and where else to find them but i have had no luck! If they aren't reasonably priced I have no intention of buying them (why i havent bought the one i found it isnt worth that much at all!!) I just want to find more that are priced right

Can you see this one ?

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/chalkwell-auctions/catalogue-id-2875250/lot-16785823?searchitem=true

I think this is older and crafted better

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:46:22 pm »
That is very lovely but those are pretty common i have a few of them the rum bottle one is just what im looking for but i love super rare elephants too especially memorabilia and sales ads or very old toy elephants

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »
Here is a different version that has a ship in the bottle with a different bottle style

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »
The pic of "want and need" above are very different !! Likely not the same maker !!  These could have been made by several Mfrs/or jewelers !! Gold one would be marked somewhere and likely the silver one too !!

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
I know the two are very different but both are what I am looking for, The only mark I saw on the silver one just said silver, and I didn't see any marking on the gold other then where it said rum. I figured they were different manufactures.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:15 pm »
Personally,, i wouldn`t buy it for gold !! No matter what the person says unless it is clearly marked !! Silver one is not so much that you couldn`t afford to lose it if it turned out not to be silver !! The gold one on the ebay listing looked pitted and poorly made !! Silver one is much better !!

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »
Thats what i thought the gold seemed odd to me and they seemed to try to reassure that it was tested and 14k gold awfully hard! I would not pay that much for that product at all!! The silver one is already sold or i would have bought it already i just wish i could find another one!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:30:47 pm »
I don,t understand..why you say that 14k is hard...as the higher the carat the softer the metal..9ct..is the normal..over here its hard wearing...then it jumps to 18ct..then 22ct..then 24ct...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 07:40:39 pm »
No !!  She said the person selling the gold one was trying awfully hard to convince people that it was 14K gold !!   Its a girl thing Wullie !! We talk different !!

pinkelephants1745

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:00 pm »
Oh yeah no I meant the seller was trying really hard to maintain that it was gold not that the gold was hard sorry, i didnt realized it looked that way until I just reread that part.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:29 pm »
Talk different...an understatement..if i ever heard one...you think different..and there,s been times when i,ve thought that your  a totally different species.....I get to say that cause Avrils in bed.... ;D