Author Topic: No Auction Reserves  (Read 1158 times)

debodun

• View Profile
No Auction Reserves
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:36:57 am »
Why are auctioneers no longer taking reserves? I've tried to sell estate items through auction services and when I tell the auctioneers I need to get certain prices, they all say "No reserves."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: No Auction Reserves
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 08:02:14 am »
It may be down to..one or two factors....one..the currant climate..whereby money is short...and the may feel..that by putting a reserve on things..will inhibit the sale...or it may be down to storage...if the item fails to reach the reserve...then..the goods need to be stored until either the next sale...or are uplifted by the vendor
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:06:53 am »
Plus the fact that an item with a reserve that doesn`t sell makes him no money !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:49:59 am »
Bidders quickly become lethargic at an auction where commonplace items either have to meet a certain price or are not sold. It doesn't take long before it affects the entire sale.

Unless you are selling a high dollar item with a known value, you are much better off by allowing the market to establish the price.

I've sold literally thousands of items at auctions over the years, and have never put a reserve on anything, and have never had an item that didn't sell. Yes, I've been disappointed with things that brought ridiculous low prices, but when I look at the final settlement, I'm always more than satisfied.