Author Topic: UNIQUE ANCIENT PERSIAN DISH VERY RARE  (Read 4450 times)

shantopia

• View Profile
UNIQUE ANCIENT PERSIAN DISH VERY RARE
« on: January 26, 2013, 06:01:15 pm »
Hey guys! Great forum! so happy to have found it.

Ok here it is... 6 inches in diameter, 0.75 inches in depth. My science teacher told me it's made out of tin. The writing is in the old persian language. I'm Armenian, I have persian friends but none of them can read what it says. It's been in my family for many generations. It was given to my grandmother (r.i.p. <3) who lived in Syria so the origins are completely legit.

*note the writing is reversed in the picture. sorry don't know how to fix it

mart

• View Profile
Re: UNIQUE ANCIENT PERSIAN DISH VERY RARE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:41 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the group !! Sorry but this is way out of my area !! We do have others that may be able to help though !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:21 am »
If this is all true then this may be an evaluation for an auction house or the appropriate expert. Way out of my line! :)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

shantopia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »
ah ok thanks though! :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 04:52:34 pm »
if you are saying this plate has writings in the "Old Persian Language...then..yo ur are trying to tell us that this "tin plate"...might be  over 2500 years old...somehow i don,t think so...i,m thinking..its more like 75/100 years old..if that....as Persia was renamed Iran in 1935..my link is for the dates of Ancient Persian language...

History of the
Persian language
Proto-Iranian (ca. 1500 BC)

Southwestern Iranian languages
Old Persian (c. 525 BC - 300 BC)

Old Persian cuneiform script
Middle Persian (c.300 BC-800 AD)

Pahlavi script • Manichaean script • Avestan script
Modern Persian (from 800 AD)

Perso-Arabic script

The Old Persian language is one of the two directly attested Old Iranian languages (the other being Avestan). Old Persian appears primarily in the inscriptions, clay tablets, and seals of the Achaemenid era (c. 600 BCE to 300 BCE). Examples of Old Persian have been found in what is now present-day Iran, Iraq, Turkey and Egypt[1] the most important attestation by far being the contents of the Behistun Inscription (dated to 525 BCE). Recent research into the vast Persepolis Fortification Archive at the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago have unearthed Old Persian tablets (2007).[2] This new text shows that the Old Persian language was a written language in use for practical recording and not only for royal display

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 06:41:31 pm »
A friend of mine is from Persia ( she prefers calling it that over Iran)  If you don't mind can I copy your picture and ask her what it might say or maybe one of her friends or family can

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 07:00:19 pm »
the minute this picture was published on here..it became the public property...

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »
Funny you should say that.. My sister in law posted a bunch of what she thought were sexy( embarrassingly bad) and private ( not for anyone who could hack into her account)  pictures of herself on the old myspace. I found them, right clicked them and now they are mine and who ever else I choose to share that mess with....
Back to the subject..let me show my friend the pictures. I'll  let you know what she says

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 07:57:24 pm »

Ok here it is... 6 inches in diameter, 0.75 inches in depth. My science teacher told me it's made out of tin. The writing is in the old persian language. I'm Armenian, I have persian friends but none of them can read what it says. It's been in my family for many generations. It was given to my grandmother (r.i.p. <3) who lived in Syria so the origins are completely legit.

*note the writing is reversed in the picture. sorry don't know how to fix it 

Is the writing reversed or is the picture upside down.

[/quote]

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:01 pm »
Funny you should say that.. My sister in law posted a bunch of what she thought were sexy( embarrassingly bad) and private ( not for anyone who could hack into her account)  pictures of herself on the old myspace. I found them, right clicked them and now they are mine and who ever else I choose to share that mess with....
Back to the subject..let me show my friend the pictures. I'll  let you know what she says
what you asking me for....there not my pictures.....they belong to the "World" ;D ;D

Anon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:39 pm »

She said:
It is written in reverse so I cannot make out what it says
Just the date 1211 can be read.
Hugs P

So flip the picture so she can read it

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:36:55 am »
Not to be too contrary , but I feel that this little item is most unlikely to be constructed from tin ; it seems to me to be spun copper or brass , with a tin coating .
Tin has an extremely low melting point (I've 'played with' molten pure tin in my bare hands many times) & would melt at even the temps that would be generated by friction of tools against against it , while being 'spun' .

From what I'm seeing in the images , I feel that this little cool family heirloom falls way short of being 'ancient' , shantopia .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ATI434

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:59:21 pm »
I am no expert in this field. At first the text looks reversed so I flipped the signature and added more contrast. I cannot make out what it says except for a few alphabets, cannot recognize the language, does not look Persian or Arabic, unless it is a very old text or regional text like. The problem with the 1211 (if they were using Islamic lunar calendar then 1786 AD) is that once the photo is flipped then number 2 also becomes flipped therefore the number becomes an unusual number 6 otherwise the reversed 2 is incoherent or incorrect to me. The flipped 2 image makes the date 1161 (1748 AD) rather than 1211. It could be that the signature was stamped and the date was added by hand after making the plate. If the text was Armenian then Gregorian date or similar may have been used, if Assyrian an Assyrian calendar date may have been used, just throwing this last speculation: you may want to check with someone who can read Kurdish text from 18th century AD.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »
Thanks for the additional info but this person has not been back since they asked about this !! Nice to know we have someone that might help with items from that area !!  Welcome to the forum !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »
Anything published on line is not public property. It is copyrighted by the owner and protected by law. I deal with this all the time. If I take a picture it is my property until it becomes public domain. If I want to use a picture that someone else took I need to have permission. If you use my online work as a professional writer or photographer without permission, you are in violation of the law and can be sued. Do not think that you can copy and paste anything that is not yours. It could cost you dearly. I am a professional writer. This is how I make my living. Do not even think about stealing my work.