Author Topic: Old Perfume Bottle - guessing early 1900's  (Read 2543 times)

debbie

• View Profile
Old Perfume Bottle - guessing early 1900's
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:29:46 pm »
I can only read some of the bottle, not all but what I can read is; First created in 1836, the bottom of the bottle says (Esprit DE Valdemar) on the sides of the bottle it tells a story where it was created/made and the cap has a lady dressed in the old style dress with puffy stuff underneath and a bonnet on.  On one side of the bottle I can read; Mavelous kings roses which grow only around the 800 year old castle of Vordingborg.  The bottle is hand signed in red with pretty fancy writing. 

I found this in a box of items that was donated to us after our house fire in 1977 and I have had it around every since.  Just wondering if anyone knows the history of the bottle and if there is a story about the castle?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old Perfume Bottle - guessing early 1900's
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
Puffy stuff !!  You mean petticoats ?? To make the skirt full ??  Haven`t seen the pic yet !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:12 pm »
Puffy stuff !!  You mean petticoats ?? To make the skirt full ??  Haven`t seen the pic yet !!

Mart, third pic on the cap......definitely petticoats  ;)

debbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:55:14 pm »
It could be petticoat - I thought it was that wire stuff or crinlin with a corsett type undergarment.  :D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »
I guess petticoat and crinoline sort of melded for me........all I know is the ones I was forced to wear (way back when) were sheer torture.  Whatever the heck it was that made those old, floor length skirts 'poof'  :D

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:26 pm »
So far any reference I can come up with using the name linked with Denmark are ....you guessed it......NOT in English. Did find a picture of a couple of bottles matching but they were in someone's photo album with no information posted.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
You could try the Antique Bottle Forum. Pop the picture up and they will tell you info.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:59:50 pm »
Found pics of more bottles with a notation in danish "Smells of the past"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maddecat/2049848675/

This ones notes this particular bottle is from 1939
http://www.museum-online.dk/proevesamlingen/genst_data.asp?Nr=02204X00006483
and notes on this one translated into English are:  "ESPRIT DE VALDEMAR" - bottle, 72 cl. 6-angular mouthpiece to plug and round bundopstikning. Produced at Holmegaard Glassworks. Vertical indskr. "ESPRIT DE / VALDEMAR". The bottle bears the original label with goosetower and text: "ESPRIT DE VALDEMAR - Produced since 1836" over the image of the ruins and below the picture: "AKTIESELSKABET M. AARSLEFF & Co.. VORDINGBORG - COPENHAGEN".

Vertical text on the left and right sides of the picture: "Fabricationen of" Esprit de Valdemar "has inventor, Apotheker in Vordingborg M. Aarsleff's death, been taken care of by family Aarsleff until in 1932 overdroges to Aktieselskabet M. Aarsleff & Co.. As one is in possession of the original Prescription for genuine and unadulterated Esprit de Valdemar ".

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 08:43:32 am »
I guess petticoat and crinoline sort of melded for me........all I know is the ones I was forced to wear (way back when) were sheer torture.  Whatever the heck it was that made those old, floor length skirts 'poof'  :D

You too Sapphire ?? Hated those things !! Mine were netting that was stiff and scratched !!

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:46 am »
http://www.hardernet.dk/Bottles/Esprit_de_Valdemar_flasker-HG_1853.htm

Gives dimensions and dates so you can compare your bottle

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:42:26 am »
Nice find Ipcress!  ;)