Author Topic: McDonald Cooperative Flint Michigan milk bottle  (Read 5473 times)

Angie78

• View Profile
McDonald Cooperative Flint Michigan milk bottle
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:11:45 pm »
Does anyone have a bottle like this? I've been searching all day trying to find anything I could about the how old it is, if its rare or valuable, but the only thing I saw was on ebay and it was an amber bottle that resembled it... nothing at all in a clear bottle. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: McDonald Cooperative Flint Michigan milk bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:32:17 pm »
McDonald Cooperative was the largest dairy in Michigan in the mid 20th century. If you put the name in quotes  "McDonald Cooperative" a tremendous amount of information about them will be revealed.

Angie78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
I actually learned about the company by doing that, however I couldnt find anything about the bottle specifically.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:44:58 pm »
There must be a few of them due to the enormity of the company. I have one from a NYC Dairy I could never find either. Try searching out some Flint area dealers and see if they are familiar. Midwesterners are usually helpful and friendly.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flint-Mich-SEHP-Milk-Bottle-McDonald-Dairy-w-original-McDonald-CAP-/170964426867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ce462073
Yours is a pretty common half gallon (probably) bottle !!  I would guess from 40`s by the shape !!  Smaller or larger bottles are typically more rare than half gallons or quarts !!  The guy above is a collector and seller of milk bottles and is familiar with McDonalds Dairy !!

Angie78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:00:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I really like the bottle and I think the story of McDonald's Dairy is interesting... you should read how they convinced their customers to switch to homogenized milk!! I live about 30 miles North of Flint and with it being a piece of local history, I think I'll keep it and display it in my kitchen. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:30 pm »
Excellent idea !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:10:29 am »
I am big on preserving local history. I say keep it and pass it along with a note about the history.

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:05:32 am »
This is true. It's why the recent increase in the sale of family medals, due in part to the financial crisis, is so sad. In a few years times families will have little of their pre digital age heritage left

I say due in part. The other commonly stated reason is that " the kids don't really care ".

Big Society my a###

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:07 pm »
I agree, I store some of it and call it my "Time Capsule". I figure when I'm gone they'll have go through it and get a glimpse of the past.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:14 pm »
I kinda miss those old bottles , with their waxed & pleated tops .

Hearing the milkman deliver to the front or back door , early in the morning , with his wire rack for fullies & empties .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mccoyseant

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 03:01:40 am »
I'd love to get my hands on one of those. My grand father used to work for them out of Jackson, MI. My Dad has one of their milk cans, a bottle would make a great addition to it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 07:28:58 am »
Check with the above link I gave !!  He had a small one selling on ebay !! If it sold already,, he may have another since milk bottles of Michigan are his speciality !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 10:04:04 am »
I kinda miss those old bottles , with their waxed & pleated tops .

Hearing the milkman deliver to the front or back door , early in the morning , with his wire rack for fullies & empties .

I once bought an old copper still from a Gentleman that had it hidden in his attic for the past 60 years. After he sold it to me, he said: "During Prohibition, Dad was a milkman plus making a little liquor on the side. He would paint milk bottles white on the outside, and deliver them filled with moonshine along his route to special customers." :o

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 10:42:07 am »
Now that, is using your head !!