Author Topic: Need help identifying bowl please!! Graham Rice China Company  (Read 6181 times)

Spirit2013

• View Profile
Need help identifying bowl please!! Graham Rice China Company
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:46:46 pm »
I have this bowl that that was either my mothers or grandmothers, not sure which. I can't find any information on the name stamped on the bottom.  It is Graham Rice China Company. There is also a silver seal that says Graham Rice Manufacturing Company. Has anyone heard of them or know anything about it? I can't find the first thing.  Thank you!!! I've attached 3 pictures. My mom was married in 1950 and this could just be something she picked up at Woolworths for all I know. Would really appreciate any input.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:02:19 pm by Spirit2013 »

ejhmmm

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifying bowl please!! Graham Rice China Company
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:27:49 pm »
There is something called a "Bride's Basket" or a "Bride's Bowl" which consists of a ceramic, glass, or porcelain bowl resting in a metal basket.  The ones I have seen are much more elaborate that yours.  But the concept is the same.  I'm thinking maybe that is what this is.  From what I have read, they were popular gifts for brides during the Victorian era.  Maybe this is the 1950's version?  I also can't find much on Graham Rice China Company but will do more research.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36:47 am »
Yes, it does look like a bride's bowl (originally called berry bowls). If so, this is by far the latest one I've seen. I don't remember seeing any that dated much after 1910 or so, and this one looks to be mid-century.

Interesting!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Spirit2013

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:19:24 pm »
Thanks! I just thought it was odd that I couldn't find anything at all on that name. Seems like there would be something mentioned somewhere.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:38:54 pm »
Definitely 'in the style' of a bride's basket/bowl'  However, majority of bride's baskets are done in decorative glass and not traditionally in china patterns such as this.  Agree that it isn't as elaborate as they come.

However, I would venture into looking towards other pieces that were made with silver-plate baskets such as   sweetmeat baskets, cake baskets, confection baskets....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:00:51 am »
I haven`t found anything either !!  Can you tell us everything that is printed on that sticker ??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:28:15 am »
Agree with KC on possible uses. It almost looks like some kind of cross between a bride's basket and a mid century "go along" like Homer Laughlin made.

-Broderick Crawford

Spirit2013

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 02:45:03 pm »
The sticker says Graham Rice Manufacturing Company. One side of the handle has come unattached and it looks to be lead solder holding the handle on. 

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:35 pm »
I believe this is a marriage between a later bowl & earlier bride's basket.  I see lots of marriages between these two items, but usually people try to marry pieces that are closer in age & style.  ;)  GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 07:55:44 pm »
I believe this is a marriage between a later bowl & earlier bride's basket.  I see lots of marriages between these two items, but usually people try to marry pieces that are closer in age & style.  ;)  GG

Thats what I thought originally since the stand does not seem to be in the 40`s 50`s style of the bowl !!  But if it is,, its sure a perfect fit !!  Note that the bowl is held in with the metal folded over the rim !!
And don`t knock Woolworths,, I used to shop there !!  They had everything !!  Loved that store !!

Spirit2013

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 09:29:36 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I loved going to Woolworth as a kid. We use to eat lunch at their restaurant. I loved sitting at the counter.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:38:45 pm »
They seem as a child ,Woolworth's, made the grilled cheese sandwiches with French Fries.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 12:07:29 am »
Ahhhhh...the memories....Woolwor ths!  Loved their french fries and getting to sit in a booth!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 09:20:51 am »
Urrr...back to the topic at hand.

I thought of the marriage thing as well,  but agree that the fit is too perfect. It's hard enough to create perfect marriages when the bowl and cradle are contemporary,  much less separated by decades!!

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:33 am »
Ooops...the hazy daydream reminiscing bubble has been popped! 

I agree, they look original to each other.  For some of the larger sets they did make specialized serving pieces!