Author Topic: Vintage Ceramic Pipe - identifying marks and purpose  (Read 1081 times)

ejhmmm

• View Profile
Vintage Ceramic Pipe - identifying marks and purpose
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:14 pm »
A vintage store near my home was going out of business and I picked up this large ceramic pipe.  My research has lead me to believe this is either a planter or an ash tray but I'm leaning towards planter since there are no grooves for a cigarette.  I have looked up pottery marks and can't identify the one on the bottom - it looks like an elaborate capital R to me. 

The piece is about 4 inches high and about 5 inches across.

Does anyone know the maker of this piece and if it is indeed a planter?  Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Ceramic Pipe - identifying marks and purpose
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 06:54:56 am »
Back in the 50`s and 60`s many items like this were made with gift items geared for men !! They were generally in department stores around Christmas time !!  May have held after shave, small grooming items ect !! Planter is possible also but would have had a plastic pot inside the pipe bowl and used by florists to stick a small potted ivy as inexpensive gift for those in the hospital !! This type item was used for several sales venues and generally we sold in bulk to other companies who would fill them and package for sale !! 

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:00 pm »
Very cool, thanks!  The mouthpiece of the pipe - the long part that curves up - has a hole in it and water will come out it if put in the base.  I thought that was a bit odd.  I wish I knew who the maker was, I'm fascinated by ceramic marks but can't find this one in any directory.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »
Well for a planter and since it doesn`t have a drain hole in bottom,, that would be handy !! If you overwatered the ivy and the excess drained out all you had to do was tilt the pot to pour it out !!  I will look and see if I can find it !!