Author Topic: UNKNOWN POSTER???????  (Read 2174 times)

jaikno66

• View Profile
UNKNOWN POSTER???????
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:10:33 am »
I am really intrested to know some more info on this item, i think its a poster?? its signed i think by connie smaill?? and has written and composed by Ralph Butler and Noel Gay. i was wondering when it dates from and if its worth anything?? and who the person was that signed it?? thanks
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:14:39 am by jaikno66 »

Ipcress

Re: UNKNOWN POSTER???????
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:56:42 am »
Looks like song / sheet music cover. Pianists and musicians would often inscribe them. My nan did !

jaikno66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:00 pm »
Ok,im really not sure can anyone else help??

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:02:39 pm »
No, i mean i think it's the Australian version of this

How big is it ?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:42:17 pm »
Sheet music or at least the cover to it !!  Sometimes these could be purchased at a concert and may have been autographed by a favorite musician !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:25:02 pm »
Wikipedia  "The Sun Has Got His Hat On is a song from the musical Me and My Girl. It was written by Noel Gay and Ralph Butler,.[1] The song was not in the original version of the show, but was added for the 1984 revival after Jonathan King had covered it with great success in 1971. It was originally recorded in 1932 by two popular UK dance bands - Ambrose and his Orchestra, with vocals by Sam Browne and by the Henry Hall BBC Dance Orchestra with vocals by Val Rosing.[2]"

There is a recording on youtube if you would like to hear it.  I am not sure which version it is because back in 1932 the some terminology that 'may have been' appropriate is NOT acceptable today.  So newer versions have changed words or entire wording to be more acceptable.  For more on that you can refer to the Wikipedia article which does a good job explaining.

Ipcress I believe that you got this from the Henry Southeran site and it states that the nice yellow pic you have is "Original sheet music cover, published by West's LTD., London, c.1932. 315 x 250 mm".

The one in question was published by the Australian company on/with agreement of West's LTD who held original publishing rights.

History on Alan's Publishing... Dedicated printing plant was established in 1922.  http://books.google.com/books?id=PBeukXSrWK0C&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=Allan%27s+Music+Publishers+started+publishing+music+in+Australia&source=bl&ots=edQjgc72RH&sig=j6u7qKm_WIF77k4HC1rKXXrgn28&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ihsTUcjmNsTm2AWItIF4&ved=0CGIQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=Allan%27s%20Music%20Publishers%20started%20publishing%20music%20in%20Australia&f=false
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:20:57 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jaikno66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:10:16 pm »
Great thanks for your help.  Has it got any value??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:35:33 am »
Don`t know about your area but I have not had luck with them !!  There are so many types of these its hard to give them away !!

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:06:32 am »
Wikipedia  "The Sun Has Got His Hat On is a song from the musical Me and My Girl. It was written by Noel Gay and Ralph Butler,.[1] The song was not in the original version of the show, but was added for the 1984 revival after Jonathan King had covered it with great success in 1971. It was originally recorded in 1932 by two popular UK dance bands - Ambrose and his Orchestra, with vocals by Sam Browne and by the Henry Hall BBC Dance Orchestra with vocals by Val Rosing.[2]"

There is a recording on youtube if you would like to hear it.  I am not sure which version it is because back in 1932 the some terminology that 'may have been' appropriate is NOT acceptable today.  So newer versions have changed words or entire wording to be more acceptable.  For more on that you can refer to the Wikipedia article which does a good job explaining.

Ipcress I believe that you got this from the Henry Southeran site and it states that the nice yellow pic you have is "Original sheet music cover, published by West's LTD., London, c.1932. 315 x 250 mm".

The one in question was published by the Australian company on/with agreement of West's LTD who held original publishing rights.

Yes, KC. The OP's second image has West's and Allan's as publishers and that's why i said i think he has the Australian version of the image i posted

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 11:23:45 am »
Yepper Ipress.  So correct!

These don't sell well around here at this time.  But hold on to it...markets fluctuate!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!