Author Topic: Wish us luck here in Massachusetts!!  (Read 11004 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Wish us luck here in Massachusetts!!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 08:41:24 am »
I just heard that we are in for 65 MPH winds and another tidal surge. Crap!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:31 am »
Take care up there Frogpatch !!  And keep in touch !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:43 am »
Yikes , Wendy !!!

A big ditto on the well-wishing to you & yours !

Maybe keep an eye on the snow build-up on the roof too ....
hoping all the warm wishes increase the BTU's @ your place .

Nice tip on the hobo-stove , mart !

Field & Stream and Sports Afield use to have many handy tips like that !!  Thats where I read about it !! I always wondered why people in areas where the possibility exists of getting stranded in cars didnt use something like this !!  I think I would have a kit packed with a few items like that as well as food/water just in case !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 04:33:26 pm »
Careful of trees too! Candles, flashlights, batteries aah, yes extention cords if you have a generator. Charge your labtop and phone, you might not get reception. We just went through this with Sandy.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:09 pm »
frogpatch hope all is well stay safe!  Thanks all for the well wishes!! Fancypants my husband built the house and the roof is way overbuilt so we have no worries of snow causing a problem but many people will !! 10:14 pm here and I have a 2 foot drift against my back door and the wind is howling like crazy!! Everyone cleared  off the roads early here so hopefully there will be no deaths due to people trapped in cars like the blizzard of 78 mart that tip may have saved lives then!! Gonna go settle down for a long winters nap ;)  Hubby will be going out to plow at 2:00am will check in then if we have power.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 10:09:31 pm »
The governor of Mass. said if your caught driving on the roads you can get a year in jail and massive fines.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:26 pm »
wendy just 'cause you didn't really want it you didn't have to send it my way.  :'(

It's hooking up with another front coming in from Ontario, meeting right over our heads and according to the cheery weather girl, creating the 'perfect storm'. Gonna make that perky pixie shovel my bloody driveway.......over and over and over.  >:(

Stay warm and safe you guys 'down there'.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
A tip o' the hat to your hubbie for thinkin' ahead on that roof , wendy177 !

Been watching that stuff heading your way as well , sapphire ... at least you've got your heater-dog ready !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 07:16:15 am »
OH sorry Sapphire don't you wanna make snowmen??  ;) Yup he did greenacers a year in jail and massive fines so many lives were lost in 78 they don't want that to happen again, Hubby plows so I love going out driving around in the storms  ;D   A few photos of the cars in our yard and when I opened my back door!! Think it is supposed to keep up the snow until midnight tonight. Stay safe all  , any word form frogpatch??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:12 am »
I am actually jealous.  I miss a good snow storm every now and then.

Mart, guess we already had ours!   LOL  We got 2 1/2 inches at Christmas...lasted almost a day before it melted.  Here in Texas if we get a good storm we get ICE.  A couple of years back we got 3 inches of ice and then over the next few days about 3 more inches of snow and ice.  Slip n Slide.  Those Texans thought they could walk/drive in that!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 09:05:32 am »
KC We got only snow with that one, no ice !!  We were lucky,, I think you got rain that froze but we missed the rain and just got snow !! Took these pics on that one,,,!!  House is stepsons that is behind ours,, just thought it was neat looking with his flag !! He was Marine helicopter pilot and retired Federal Agent,, now is head of the flight wing at the hospital here !! The other is one of the horse trailers and the road in front of our house !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:37 am »
Love the pics Mart!  Thanks for sharing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 09:44:34 am »
I am actually jealous.  I miss a good snow storm every now and then.

I wish I could say that here... >:(

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
607 AM CST SAT FEB 9 2013

...HEAVY SNOW AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT
THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 09:45:58 am »
Well I got in from shoveling the drifts from the walk.....so dufus would have some place to do his business.......only to watch the lastest forecast. We've got about another 24 hours of this, giving us about a day and a half to clean up before the next one hits us on Tuesday. If I'd known that before I went out I would have invested that time more wisely.......like toilet training the dog.  :P

Our south shore area is being hit hard. On top of the snow and wind they are suffering the from the worst of the storm surge. Some towns are flooded and part of their main (only) highway is under a meter of water.....and the end is still a ways off.

On the up side.....this is my one weekend a month off, so I don't have to go any further than my own yard.  ;)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 09:54:08 am »
Looks like your prediction of three feet was right on the money Wendy. Makes my 6 inches seem like a flurry. We escaped the winds and tide too. I am glad you are OK. When I lived in Northern NJ we had 30 inches once. Fortunately I had a neighbor with a commercial snow blower. Nice pics Mart.