Author Topic: Wish us luck here in Massachusetts!!  (Read 11007 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Wish us luck here in Massachusetts!!
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:04 am »
With the 34.8" of snow fall  they are predicting for my area I may be off the grid for a few days  to a week.  Hope all are safe & warm please stay off the roads!!During the blizzard of 78 many died in cars covered in snow!!  Be safe

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Wish us luck here in Massachusetts!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:17:58 am »
Good luck! Stay warm and stock up. Here in NJ at the coast we are expecting only rain followed by a few inches of snow. I hope you don't lose power. Do you have a wood stove or fireplace? Generator?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:38:17 am »
34+ inches? Holy *%)#)(#_#$_*(!!!

Stay warm. If your power stays up, keep us informed of your condition and stay safe!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:48 am »
Yup, that has the “makings” of another per say “perfect storm” ….. with the Arctic cold moving East out of the upper Midwest and the Low Pressure area (moisture) moving up out of the southwest  …… all that is needed to “add insult to injury” is a High Pressure area to be “stalled” north to northeast of the Maine-Mass coast …….. and then “Katy bar the door”.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:58:48 am »
Hope it isn`t that much snow !! Just stay in and stay warm,,stay safe,, keep us updated when possible !!  Do you have alternative heat/power just in case ??

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:01:15 am »
Frogpatch hope NJ does only get rain and a few inches of snow your area has been through enough!! We will lose power just a matter of when, We do have a Generator  and we have an outdoor wood burner so lots of shoveling to get to the split wood and load the stove but we will be very warm and we have a large library of movies  :D  !! Baking & cooking today so meals will be easy to heat and be yummy, We have a large home so I'm sure we will have guests that have no heat when we lose power! The hubby will be plowing and helping anyone that gets stuck,  during the blizzard of 78 we were without power for 2 weeks!! ghopper I said the same thing "34+ inches? Holy *%)#)(#_#$_*(!!!"   will stay online as long as I can  :D Everyone else in the area check in too!!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:07:42 am »
Hope you don't send all of that our way. It's hitting us late tomorrow evening. Still cursing hubby for nixing a woodstove when we move here.  LOTS of oil lamps, comforters and a big lumpy dog.......don't think the bird will cuddle up with us though.   ::)

We'll have to compare 'after' pics  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:24:42 am »
Sapphire,, a little Texas tip !!  Buy lots of toilet paper and alcohol !! And save a few one pound metal coffee cans !!  Stuff a roll of the toilet paper in the coffee can,, pour alcohol in till all is absorbed and put lid on !!  In an emergency you can take the lid off and light the top for hand warmer !!  Burns pretty clean but enclosed spaces need to be ventilated and bottom of can doesn`t get hot ,, just the top ,, Put something over the top to extinguish, we used to cover the plastic lid with foil for that !!  We used these hand warmers for deer hunting !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:44:21 am »
Neat trick mart!  I do have a portable butane stove with lots of cannisters on hand. It's great for heating up food quickly and adding warmth while playing candlelight chef.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 08:24:21 am »
For those in areas that could be stranded in cars and snow,, this is a good item to have !!  Just don`t pour the alcohol in till you need it in an emergency !! And always crack window a bit !!  Would keep you from freezing to death !! Puts out enough heat to warm a car !!  Old grill rack on stand above it would even heat food !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:13:46 am »
Nice info Mart!!!!

Keep warm Wendy177!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:08:29 pm »
Wow that is a lot of snow!!!! We have not had much here in Ohio this winter.  I wish we could get a foot and then I would be ready for Spring. Stay safe! I hope you are able to stay warm, too. 
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:24:22 pm »
Bundle up Wendy!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 01:04:05 pm »
Yikes , Wendy !!!

A big ditto on the well-wishing to you & yours !

Maybe keep an eye on the snow build-up on the roof too ....
hoping all the warm wishes increase the BTU's @ your place .

Nice tip on the hobo-stove , mart !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »
I don't think a snow blower works with that amount of snow! Get some good hot chocolate and a good book and stay warm, Wendy. I actually like a good snow. Maybe a good sled or skis. Stay safe.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."