Author Topic: 17th Century Canopy Bed Carved  (Read 9539 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century Canopy Bed Carved
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »
This is true mart. I couldn't find anything either, not even an ad, but maybe they do have documentation. They haven't answered back yet. Have they? :-\
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 12:42:27 pm »
 No !!  Still waiting !!

Number13

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 04:41:25 pm »
I just spoke with my mother on the phone and she is going to get some more pictures for me so I should get some with the posts visible. I also told her to look around wherever she can to see if there are markings. She also keeps correcting me when I mention Ralph Lauren's "Curtain" Collection and says it is his "Bedding" Collection.

As for written provenance, she says that she had a bill of sale and cannot locate it, but it probably only had this Judy's name on it... so as for the whole Ralph Lauren story, and whether it is true or not, without any proof, it is only just a story. Which is why I told her to locate any markings if she can. She also says that it is not a reproduction.

I asked her again about the previous owner Judy Garwood, and she doesn't know what she is a producer of, but says that she did see her one time on a documentary called "Hauntings In New Orleans" and in this documentary she must have been inside her home because my mother said that when she recognized her, she kept waiting for her to go into her room to see if the bed was in there.

Oh, and the bed was originally in a shop on Magazine St called Hooters and that Judy and the owner had some sort of falling out in which she took back all that she had there on consignment including the bed and ended up somewhere else which is when my mother relocated her and purchased it from her.

I asked her if we could contact the shop where it was located and she said he probably  wouldn't be a very helpful because she was trying to purchase it there and when Judy removed it and sold it on her own the owner was furious about it.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 06:04:44 pm »
Is it possible the owner was 'Julie' Garwood?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »
There were quite a few Julie`s listed But only three Judy`s !!  Even so without a provenance of some kind that is indesputable  its just a story !! So you would have to focus on construction details and even that is questionable !! I said reproduction and I should have said "copy" because many were copied in the years after the original was made !! Even through the 1800`s !! Thats why I asked if it was a rope bed ?? Any other type would have been made much later !!  Even if it has been refitted the holes would still be there !!  That is how beds were made then !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 06:43:00 pm »
Agree, would like to know if this was a rope bed as well!  Please advise!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 12:22:58 am »
http://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/

He usually has 17th century tester beds available but i dont see any at the moment. He had a 50% off sale over the holidays and sold alot of his stock. I would contact him as this is all he handles and knows a great deal about english pieces of medieval thru the 17th century.

I would add that there are no American 17th century frame & panel beds known to exist. Guesses the few that were made ended up as firewood.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:04:56 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 06:23:11 am »
She said that this was brought from England !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 06:29:48 am »
LOL, Yes Mart, i know it's english, was just pointing out that there are no known american beds of this type/period that are known to exist, which is kinda a shame.

Matter of fact, there are only 20 something american frame & panel chairs known at this time. This is considered the Pilgrim era in american furniture or more exactly the "Pilgrim Century" 1620-1720.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:34:24 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 06:39:53 am »
Sorry Jacon4 !!  Just thought you might have missed that part of her post,,,should have known better !!  You don`t miss much !! LOL

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 06:41:50 am »
That didn`t make sense either,,, I need another cup of coffee before I type anything else !!

Ipcress

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 07:37:10 am »
I just spoke with my mother on the phone and she is going to get some more pictures for me so I should get some with the posts visible. I also told her to look around wherever she can to see if there are markings. She also keeps correcting me when I mention Ralph Lauren's "Curtain" Collection and says it is his "Bedding" Collection.

As for written provenance, she says that she had a bill of sale and cannot locate it, but it probably only had this Judy's name on it... so as for the whole Ralph Lauren story, and whether it is true or not, without any proof, it is only just a story. Which is why I told her to locate any markings if she can. She also says that it is not a reproduction.

I asked her again about the previous owner Judy Garwood, and she doesn't know what she is a producer of, but says that she did see her one time on a documentary called "Hauntings In New Orleans" and in this documentary she must have been inside her home because my mother said that when she recognized her, she kept waiting for her to go into her room to see if the bed was in there.

Oh, and the bed was originally in a shop on Magazine St called Hooters and that Judy and the owner had some sort of falling out in which she took back all that she had there on consignment including the bed and ended up somewhere else which is when my mother relocated her and purchased it from her.

I asked her if we could contact the shop where it was located and she said he probably  wouldn't be a very helpful because she was trying to purchase it there and when Judy removed it and sold it on her own the owner was furious about it.

There are a few Judy Garwood's in the film / theatre biz. One had a very small part in Paul Newman's A New Kind Of Love. Could be she became a producer but didn't do anything of note.

Also find it interesting that the author Judy / Julie Garwood went to school in New Orleans, LA.
And there is a different 69 year old Judy Garwood living in Baton Rouge now.

Only video i can see called The Haunting Of New Orleans is an edition of Top Chef. There is a " Haunting Of Louisiana " book and video.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:00 am »
I didn`t even find that much !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 10:27:16 am »
How about Judy Garland? Now, THAT would be coin of the realm in terms of provenance! Absent some really famous celeb, i think the value of this bed would pretty much be determined by it's condition, is it in fact a period piece, etc. rather than someone who is relatively obscure.

If it was me, i'd contact marhamchurch first, deal with provenance later.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:32:32 am by jacon4 »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 10:49:34 am »
I did and she is a producer, but I saw no picture of the house. She moved back to New Orleans to care for her mother.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."