Author Topic: Seng Company Dining Set?  (Read 10506 times)

Frankpisi

• View Profile
Seng Company Dining Set?
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
We acquired a dining room set a while back and I'm looking for information about it. The only mark I found is on the table, SENG COMPANY. We have a dining table with 6 chairs and two leaves, a buffet(sideboard?), and hutch. I've attached a pic of the hutch as the design in consistent among all pieces. I know nothing about the set and want to know if it's worth restoring the pieces. There are condition issues with the top of the buffet and some of the detail work as well.
I'd also like to know anything about the value of the set.

Any help from the community would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Frank Pisi

mart

• View Profile
Re: Seng Company Dining Set?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
Can you take a pic of the marking on it ??  It would help if you could flip the pic upright !!  Also your location please !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:34:12 pm »
Try this one mart

Frankpisi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:56:16 pm »
Thanks Sapphire! The pic wasn't rotated when I uploaded it.
Mart: Here's the mark from under the table. I think this one is the right way.
I'm in California.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 05:48:55 pm »
http://invention.smithsonian.org/resources/mind_repository_details.aspx?rep_id=1189
Here is an overview of that company !!  But they did not make the furniture,, only the metal hardware,, I would have been surprised if a maker had been on it !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »
Fascinated with the paint detail on the carvings. Haven't seen that before.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:45:03 pm »
That is a nice touch Sapphire !!  It is made in the Jacobean Revival style of the 30`s and is walnut !! Your lucky because it is a lighter stain,, and that paint detail adds to its charm !!  Approx. value for all $400. to $600. depending on condition !! For that top amount would have to be in excellent condition !!  You might look at the back of the drawers  for a name but it would be unlikely if it had one !! It was not a common practice for Mfrs to put a name on furniture but a few did use paper labels !!

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:55:33 am »
http://invention.smithsonian.org/resources/mind_repository_details.aspx?rep_id=1189
Here is an overview of that company !!  But they did not make the furniture,, only the metal hardware,, I would have been surprised if a maker had been on it !!

They made furniture too.

Frankpisi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:59:32 am »
Thank you for the info! I'll look for a maker's mark on the pieces. I'll also take pics of the rest of the pieces and post later.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »

They made furniture too.

Of those pieces they did make they did not list dining suites !! Just a few odd pieces !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:23 pm »

Ipcress

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:00 pm »
But they made furniture, so a statement like this "  But they did not make the furniture " is misleading.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 07:12:25 pm »
Awww Come on !!  Buy my saying that I meant the furniture in question !!  What do you think "the furniture " meant ??  I did not say they did not make any furniture !!

Frankpisi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:10:13 pm »
Hello community!
I looked for any maker's marks, but couldn't find anything, beyond a '700W' stenciled on the back of the hutch.
I'm attaching two more photos: one of the buffet and the other of a chair from the dining set (the other 5 chairs do not have arms...).
Sorry of they upload wonky...

I appreciate your help on this!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:04 am »
Furniture like yours was not normally marked with a mfrs name !!   Some of the very high end pieces might be marked but it usually was not !!  May have had a paper label but even those are rare to find !!  This type furniture was made in such quantity that tracking down a mfr is difficult !!  You might use Google images and see what you can find on the painted detail since that is not commonly found !!