Author Topic: haberdashery cabinets  (Read 1747 times)

woodyapex

• View Profile
haberdashery cabinets
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:59:55 am »

Ive these two cabinets , and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on them and wondered how common they are.

I live in barnsley and they came from a local hat making factory.
But still had the lining paper in from simpsons of piccadilly. where i think they were origanally fitted.
Ive googled simpsons and now a officiado ( not ) on the place. But wondered if anyone had any internal photos of the place in it hay day. Ie when these were in it.

A little bit about them.

Item 1 a pair of 1935 mahogany shirt display cabinets ( Has also been used for hats ) .

Each cabinet consisting of six beautiful glass fronted drop down doors with small brass finger pulls that open and slide into the unit . Each glass fronted section reveals six mahogany drawers each, thus making 36 drawers per cabinet (6x6) .

In the bottom of each cabinet are three large drawers that I presume are for stock.

These were both once fitted into Simpsons of Piccadilly london ( the bottom drawers still containing their lining paper . * 1

These having both been " fitted " at the time of opening when removed were expertly looked at by binders. I believe binders then probably made them free standing. They have a few very small faults but only the odd little thing you'd expect for age. From what I can tell by the slight imperfections in all the glass it is all original.

Size 5'2" X 6Ft

mart

• View Profile
Re: haberdashery cabinets
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:15:04 pm »
These would make nice showcases with a bit of rearranging of the shelves !! But as a collectable I would say the value is minimal !! $150. to $200. each !!  The problem is finding someone that can use them !!  Here it would be no problem with all our antique malls, flea markets ect,, someone would buy them !!

woodyapex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:30:35 am »
These would make nice showcases with a bit of rearranging of the shelves !! But as a collectable I would say the value is minimal !! $150. to $200. each !!  The problem is finding someone that can use them !!  Here it would be no problem with all our antique malls, flea markets ect,, someone would buy them !!

Thanks mart

I always thought they could be easily changed into a taxidermy cabinet .

They will be on there way to Christies london on weds with a estimate of 1500$ each. So ill keep you informed. They are great pieces though and have some real providence.

I'm in the uk by the way.
Cheers woody

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:35:46 am »
Good luck with that !! From that era I don`t see that much in them but I have been wrong before !!  Send a link for the sale of the cabinets !! I would be interested to watch and see what they sell for !!  Might learn a bit about sales in the UK !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »
I agree.  Oddities like myself would love items like this!

Wishing you a GREAT sale!  Would like to know selling prices aswell!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:02:38 am »
I agree KC I think these will go for a pretty penny my first thought they would be wonderful in some huge custom closet for a very wealthy ladies jewelery , designer sunglasses, Hermes scarfs, collection of watches & such!!  I adore them!!! Not very common !!