Author Topic: Do I have a Vintage Item or Reproduction?  (Read 4076 times)

Will1411

• View Profile
Do I have a Vintage Item or Reproduction?
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:45:27 pm »
I hope someone can help.
I got a quadruple silver Cracker Barrel from a thrift store. It has a Rockford Silverplate Co. trademark on the bottom; the circle trademark with the scales and also three very small "dots". It is identical to the Rockford circle trademark I found on the Internet for American silvermakers; right down to the "tail" on the dot on the left of the scales as the Internet picture also showed. It also has the no. 400 right below the trademark; I assume it's the pattern number.

What's very strange is there is also the no. "1964", with the letter "m" just below it elsewhere on the bottom and also on the bottom side of the lid. Under magnification they appear to have been etched; it looks like a series of little dots forming the numbers and letter. You can also "feel" the numbers when running your fingers over them. They were not made by a machine; there are some obvious differences between the numbers and the "m" under the lid compared to what's on the barrel bottom.  The trademark was not made the same way as the "1964"; it has smoother letters etc.

Anyone know what the "1964" with the letter "m" actually means or just who would have put them on it?? The trademark appears to be original but the "1964" and letter "M" look strange. Does it indicate a reproduction? If it does it seems like an odd way to mark a reproduction.
Thanks (sorry for the length and all the detail).

mart

• View Profile
Re: Do I have a Vintage Item or Reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
Would have been better with a pic of the item and the marking !!  But the most likely scenario is that it was a gift to someone in that year and they used that little home engraver to put the year and M for whoever gave it !!  Those things are not the easiest to use and I would have done the same thing !! Just put the M for the first letter of the name instead of trying to do the entire name !! Could have also stood for Mother and 1964 the year of her passing !!  Not all of us have great memories for dates !!  I don`t !!

Will1411

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:58 pm »
Would have been better with a pic of the item and the marking !!  But the most likely scenario is that it was a gift to someone in that year and they used that little home engraver to put the year and M for whoever gave it !!  Those things are not the easiest to use and I would have done the same thing !! Just put the M for the first letter of the name instead of trying to do the entire name !! Could have also stood for Mother and 1964 the year of her passing !!  Not all of us have great memories for dates !!  I don`t !!

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for no pics, I don't have a digital camera, or probably more importantly, the necessary expertise. One of these days I should get one and learn. I know just a description can be somewhat confusing and hard for someone to picture what is being described.

I also had thought about the scenario you mentioned and it seems very likely. The "1964" and the "m" just has the appearance of being done by someone at home with an engraving tool and not by a company. As I had mentioned, there were too many obvious differences; one "m" is taller than the other and one "6" has a bigger loop in it, plus other differences. 
I did learn in researching on the Internet the name "Rockford Silverplate Co" dates from 1882 to 1925,  when the name then changed to Sheets-Rockford.
Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:40:21 pm »
Those little dots pretty much tell that was what someone did !!  It would not have been done by any company !! Posting pics is easy here and should you get a digital camera,, we will be glad to help you post the pics !!
And forgot to say welcome to our group !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:48:46 pm »
Or even your cell phone if you have the USB cord or if you have better technology such as wireless.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:18:46 pm »
I believe you are meaning "biscuit barrel"!  Search that and you will find MANY!

Rockford wasn't such a "famous" company (say for instance like Tiffany") that it would be a reproduction.

Rockford made "middle of the road" silver plated items that are very nice!  Made more affordable so that more people could enjoy these type of items!

Agree that someone engraved it - which is okay!  Shouldn't devalue it!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:25:22 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Will1411

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:11 am »
http://fineestateliquidation.com/research-antiques/vintage-rockford-silverplate-cracker-or-biscuit-barrel/

Is yours similar to this one?

Yes, it is fairly similar. Mine has a little less decoration around the word 'Crackers' and a different rim, mine has a somewhat fluted rim at the top. I would bet mine is probably a step below the one in the picture.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:20 am »
Still it is nice and worth keeping !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:15 am »
Ditto what Mart said.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Will1411

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »
Those little dots pretty much tell that was what someone did !!  It would not have been done by any company !! Posting pics is easy here and should you get a digital camera,, we will be glad to help you post the pics !!
And forgot to say welcome to our group !!

I may take you up on that; I also have a Reed & Barton silverplate creamer and sugar bowl that I have wondered if it's somewhat old or more recently made.  I have looked at digital cameras before and got confused with all the different spec's and how much difference it made in a decent camera and if price made much difference in getting a decent one.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 02:28:20 pm »
I mthink mine was a little over a hundred but you should be able to get a decent pic with most any of them !! My computer has a photo impressions program that allows you to make any corrections and resize the pics !! You should get a disk for similar program with the camera if you don`t already have one !!