Author Topic: My old mug is slipware....  (Read 3979 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
My old mug is slipware....
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »
I was sent a response or half a response until I pay. I may now. The appraiser says my Haym Solomon mug is slipware and could be very valuable. What is slipware and it's significance of it? 
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: My old mug is slipware....
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:05:33 pm »
Just wrote them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 03:55:17 am »
Slip is merely a thing layer of pottery material that has been applied in layers on an unfired piece.

I believe they are referring to your mug could be made using the method called sgraffito.  Where colored slip is applied and you scratch through the white slip to reveal the base color of the piece underneath.  It is still done today.  Here is a youtube of someone doing the technique fyi:http://youtu.be/VCPQm5s2SSQ
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:51:54 am »
I'm still waiting to hear back from them. That would date the mug to the late 1700's.

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:12 am »
Slip is merely a thing layer of pottery material that has been applied in layers on an unfired piece.

I believe they are referring to your mug could be made using the method called sgraffito.  Where colored slip is applied and you scratch through the white slip to reveal the base color of the piece underneath.  It is still done today.  Here is a youtube of someone doing the technique fyi:http://youtu.be/VCPQm5s2SSQ

Loads of this stuff in Britain. Horace Elliott and Ewenny, Brannam's etc. Not unlike the 17th century slipware but tends to be a rhyme or motto incised to the vase or puzzle jug. Sometimes commemorating a birthday or historic event.

This was made in 1891

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 11:33:51 am »
Interesting bible verse on the pic you posted Ipcress.  The verse relates that the mug is "less than" what the potter wanted and that the potter remakes it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »
I have one other place to contact. That piece looks very similar to mine. My piece has some crazing though.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 04:47:14 pm »

I would be happy to help you with your pottery mug. The method of the decoration on your mug is called sgraffito and the story on it is historical since it pertains to the American Revolution. Elfreth’s Alley, as you may know as a native to Philadelphia is referred to as our nation’s oldest residential street. This is a unique mug, meaning one may never find another one with this same exact story.

I am wondering what further information you seek on this mug? Are you considering selling or insuring this?

Would it be possible for you to send me a clear, in-focus close-up photo of the mark on the bottom?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:31:22 pm »
http://elfrethsalley.org/houses/139-elfreths-alley

I went with the appraiser. That is the only way. She is to talk to some people and get back to me. She did think it seemed that old, I explained it was found in a wall in this house. There was a Cline family that lived there. Now only time will tell.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:20 pm »
This is from Temple Univ. Archeologist Dept.:

Sorry for my delayed response.  The slipware mug is very intriguing.  I consulted a a few other archaeologists and my advisor at Temple University about the mug, and they also found it to be very unique.  Based on the picture, the mug itself does not appear to be from the revolutionary era.  At the earliest it was likely produced in the  mid-19th century.  This is clear because the alley houses initially had a different numbering system starting at no. 1.  Using the old system, I believe 139 Elfreth's Alley would have actually been no. 17.  The new system was implemented in the mid-19th century; therefore the mug was almost certainty created after that time.  Also, I am not familiar with any  examples of individual potters writing an address on a slipware ceramic in the 18th century.  Elfreth's Alley as a historic entity did not seem to enter the collective consciousness of Philadelphian's until the early 20th century.  It seems unlikely that an early potter would specifically write out their location at Elfreth's Alley; it would be more probable that someone in the 20th century, familiar with the significance of the alley, would include this address.  Additionally, while Slipware ceramics were produced in the 18th century, it appears that the handle to the mug may have been attached separately (difficult to see in photo); this would be uncommon for early ceramic pieces.  Even if the mug is from a later historical period, however, it is still quite unique and valuable for the historical value it does have.  As an archaeologists, we don't think of value in monetary terms, rather we think of what information an item can provide us and what we can learn from it.  This mug is a physical symbol of Elfreth' Alley's past and  its enduring tradition.  I hoped that explanation helped you in your research.  If there is any other information I can help with, please let me know. 

I wrote back asking if he Cline family could be the owner's.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »
Dov, it definitely seems possible that the Clines were the owners of the mug.  I do not know the exact dates of when the street numbers were changed.  It may be worth researching the house numbers a little more in-depth; that way you would have a stronger argument to link the Cline Family to the mug.

I'm going to do that. 

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, industry began to change the street. Perhaps the first was a stove factory that in 1868 took its place in a row of residential houses. Eventually, factories surrounded Elfreth's Alley. The city's waterfront was only a few blocks away. Industry changed more than the architecture; successive waves of immigrants, lured by the nearby jobs, moved onto the street; in 1900, the neighborhood was overwhelmingly Irish.

In 1934, the Elfreth's Alley Association (EAA) was founded to preserve the alley's historic structures while interpreting the street's 300-year history. The EAA helped save the street from demolition, and also lobbied the city to restore the alley's name to "Elfreth's Alley"; it had been designated as the 100 block of Cherry Street years before as part of a street-name simplification program

From what this women was saying if I find the time when the street numbers changed.  I think can prove this was the Clines mug.

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:42:39 pm »
Sounds like the Clines moved before the new system was implemented though