Author Topic: Need help identifying Remington Rand typewriter  (Read 3525 times)

maggiemae

• View Profile
Need help identifying Remington Rand typewriter
« on: February 15, 2013, 05:38:27 pm »
Hey guys! I have been trying to find the model name of this Remington for a while, and I stumbled upon your site and thought I'd try posting. Hopefully you can help me identify it. The serial number is J1794820, located on the right hand side on a piece of metal under the platen, and I can't find out anything about it. None of the serial number searches have turned anything up. The only other markings, aside from that very 1950s type on the front, is a similar typeface on the back that says "Remington Rand", printed on and smudged. It appears to be similar to the Super-Riter model, but it's much smaller and a little curvier. And clearly, a different colour. The entire thing is a deep charcoal grey, and the surface of the body is actually kind of textured. I have no case or manual for this thing, as I picked it up at a garage sale, and I was hoping to find the proper ribbon for it.

Thanks for your time!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying Remington Rand typewriter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:52:02 pm »
lots of ribbon on ebay...for this typewriter,almost any of the spools will fit...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=remington+typewriter&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:41 pm »
 Yep !!  Looks like old 50`s model !!  You either have the number wrong or its not the serial/model number !!  Can you look again and make sure thats correct !!  Maybe post a pic of the plate !! And open it so we can see inside where the ribbon goes !!  Where did you find that number ??
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:10:27 pm by mart »

maggiemae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:51:54 pm »
Thanks guys! Good to know about the ribbon. I figured it could take standard sizes but I wasn't quite sure. Hoping to get the model name just out of curiosity, but for all practical purposes my goal has been achieved. It's been a shame to let this guy sit aside, well oiled and working, for a lack of ribbon.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »
Learned how to type on one of these!  Still press the keys too hard on my computer (so my kids say)!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:01:46 am »
Its even worse when you only use one finger...Avril commented one night...."you,re not hammering nails"
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:20:04 pm »
LOL!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:53:07 pm »
Glad no one sees me !! I have tried to learn how to type,, took it in school,,didn`t work,, took another class after I got out of school,,Nada !!  What one hand does,, the other follows !!  They do not work independently on a typewriter !!  Thank heavens thats all it applies to !!

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:55:00 pm »
It really looks like a 50's Remington Quiet-Riter to me, but from what research I've done it seems those actually had the word Quiet-Riter across the front.  Obviously your typewriter does not.  If you notice your keys are sort of a rounded off square - that style began in the 50's.  My second guess is a Super-Riter.  The Super-Riter has identical features to yours.  It's a really cool find!  I love old typewriters.