Author Topic: Abraham Lincoln wood relief carving  (Read 1226 times)

kidpakman

• View Profile
Abraham Lincoln wood relief carving
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:51:36 pm »
Cold you tell me anything about this piece? It appears to be carved out of wood. And quite old. The middle picture shows the name lincoln though it is a poor camera
Thank you for your time.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Abraham Lincoln wood relief carving
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »
Looks like a composite resin material instead of wood !!  This would be pressed into a mold !!  Some types are made with sawdust and a glue/binder !!  I do not see carving marks on this !! And letters that small would be difficult to carve !!

kidpakman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:15:05 pm »
It has two chips one on the side and another on top. Both of these show the different layers of wood. The composite would seem more feasible giving the lettering had it not been for the chips I would have agreed. But it is definitely a solid piece. It is old and has probably worn the carving marks away.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40:06 pm »
I,m getting a sare neck
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:53:35 pm »
Carving marks would not have worn completely away !!  They will smooth down and the edges will not be so sharp but they will not disappear !!  There are things hundreds of years old that are handled much more than this emblem would be that still have the carving marks !!  Pretty sure yours is a composite !! You can take a pic of the chip and post it here !!  Let us take a look at it !!