Author Topic: Old rocking chair  (Read 6034 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Old rocking chair
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:45 am »
I,m still holding the thought that its been a chair that,s had rockers added..not that i,m a Rocker expert...well,not this kind of rocker...but most rockers i,ve seen have had a higher back...this one does,nt..i,d like to see a pic from underneath..further more..the fact that the seat is sprung...is telling me that it has been converted...any rockers i,ve seen have had a solid seat....the whole purpose of a rocker is to rock backwards/forwards...but with this one it,ll be backwards/forwards and upwards...Na...its a chair... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 06:02:58 am »
I,m still holding the thought that its been a chair that,s had rockers added..not that i,m a Rocker expert...well,not this kind of rocker...but most rockers i,ve seen have had a higher back...this one does,nt..

Bigwull, me thinks I agree with you on the added rockers.

They look to me to be a wee too short in the front (portion past the leg).

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 06:10:32 am »
You,ve hit the nail on the head Cogar...rocking in that chair would be hazardous to one,s well being...and if the back rocker is as short as the front..you,d either be flat on yer back..or flat on your face...and that normally only happens when you,ve had too much ale....well to me any way... ;D

SLONG1958

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:53 am »
The chair needs refinishing but that's something I've never done. What the best and easiest way to do this.I'll post a few more pics a little later.
Again thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:47:00 am by SLONG1958 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 06:46:53 am »
Thanks Cogar !! The hand rests though are flat in the center, then look around the edges,, you can see knife marks where the sharp edges were trimmed !!  Its only missing the ends !! Where the grooves in the top would extend forward a bit forming a trifid paw like handrest !!
Denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool will take the old finish off the same as Formby`s does and much cheaper !! Use it the same way !!

SLONG1958

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:12 am »
Here's some bottom pics.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:19 am »
The rocker is the correct length at the rear..but the front is too short...fast forward motion would turn this into an ejector seat... ;D...and looking at the means of fixing there must only be a dowel at the front..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 09:42:45 am »
Thats the way many of these were made,, and these look like the original rockers !!  The padded and upholstered back balanced the weight !! Besides ,, who rocks forward ??  When I was a kid I learned that you only push back with your feet and the chair will take care of the forward motion !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »
You answered your own question...there,s no rocking back without going forward...therefore if you,re pushing backwards to rock where can it go afterwards ...but forwards...but those short rockers at the front would prohibit you from going anywhere ..but on yer moosh.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »
One of the rockers was damaged but couldn`t see how bad,, other one looked OK I think !!    They may have been shortened but they haven`t been replaced from what I could see !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »
The only logical reason for sawing a bit off the front..would be ...for ole grandpappy or grandma...to propel themselves out of the chair on the forward stroke...a good push back..then whoosh...they were up and out...before they landed face down....Don,t you just love my explanations..... ;D ;D ;D ;

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 07:46:57 pm »
LOL !!  Or the dog chewed it !!  Tha happened a lot !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 04:55:22 am »
Rught you are, Bigwull, when ya get old, feeble and/or a little overweight, ya gotta get your butt higher than your knees fore you can get your behind in the air.

And a soft-padded or spring-cushioned "seat" is the worstest kind to try standing up from.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 05:54:00 am »
ya gotta get your butt higher than your knees fore you can get your behind in the air.

Not in these chairs you wouldn`t !! LOL

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 06:39:57 am »
Which brings us back to...was it made like this.i...or is it a homemade jobby...well.I think  ...its a Bitsa.... ;D...and you,d be wasting yer hard earned $$...doing it up...chop it up for firewood... ;D