Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 4150 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
What would you do?
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »
If a museum wants to look at your item, they say they may want you to loan it to the museum. What would be your thoughts. I got a response like thank.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:05:29 pm »
What museum would that be ??

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:38:29 pm »
We loaned some items to the Vancouver Museum & it was a positive experience.  They had a 60's Hippies display for a set period of time & we loaned them some Georgia Straight newspapers & some other items.  We had a signed contract specifying the length of time etc.  The items were well taken care of & returned to us promptly after the exhibit.  Good luck! GG

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »
The new "Jewish History Museum". Beth Wenger from the Univ. of Penn. wants me to make an appt. for my mug. She replied they may want me to loan it to them. I said permanently, lol or just to look at. She's going to speak for them, so I told her to make the appt.. Thanks gg27, that makes me feel better.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:30 pm »
I would have not reservation if it is a very reputable museum and they have it place/housed so that it wouldn't get broken.  Also have a contract. 

To let others see history is a good thing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:21 pm »
I agree about the history. I know how much I love it. My husband and I were talking about an agreement. She will email me probably tomorrow.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:50:01 am »
Make sure its insured by them !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:33 am »
Thanks, mart! I need to make a list of questions.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
One thing about sharing an item with the public is that you may be surprised with the knowledge that can be gained about its history. Case in point: Years ago, I had a small stoneware crock that I was using to hold pens and pencils on my desk. Other than admiring it for what it was, I never really could find out much about it.
I’d been hearing about this new fangled thing called “eBay”, and on a whim decided to list the little crock. By the end of the auction, I had received and returned dozens and dozens of emails and phone calls concerning the piece. Not only did I learn of its exact age and maker, but I was informed as to why it was made and for whom.
It turned out that what I was using for a pencil holder was actually worth in the five figures.
Good Luck with your quest.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »
Hope you ended that auction quickly !!  Or got a good price for it !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:36 pm »
 ;D I excited to figure out the history. They maybe doing an exhibition on "Hyam Solomon". So, can't wait to hear back.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 02:17:16 pm »
I'm with the others here who'd commented about reputable museums !

In the event your item is displayed , you may or may not (do this as an addendum to their contract) wish to have your name included on a display 'card' for the item ... you can also have 'anon' as a 'public' choice , in this option .

I've loaned items , mostly paintings , to museums for displays/shows for up to three years , with no major incidents .
One small plus (depending upon the size '$' of insurance rider) with 'long-term' loanings of that sort , is that you can avoid paying out-of-pocket expense for the insurance that you'd usually have on the item , while it is @ home .... some agents don't want to (or won't) do this but mine are/were happy to .
It sometimes feels quite nice to share personal 'pretties' with the gen'l public !!!

There is always some degree of risk , be the item @ home or elsewhere , so I try to keep that in mind ... in the event of fire , flood , theft , damage & etc .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 05:28:09 pm »
Thank you everyone for your help. I felt I should know what to expect and what to say and what I want. I'll let everyone know what happens.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 06:56:57 pm »
TALESOF needs to pipe in as well. She has given lots of items to museums!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:05 am »
One good thing about loaning the mug is that the museum will have to do some research to determine what it is so that the display card with it can say what they believe it to be. I think it would be wonderful to loan it, as long as it is a reputable museum and the people in charge are professionals used to handling artifacts. I was once asked to loan a silver Spanish Reale, a "piece of four" from the wreck of the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet for a museum exhibit. I ended up not doing it when I realized it was for a pirate exhibit being put together by an amateur and that mine was the only true artifact. He had talked a small, local museum into letting him put together a pirate exhibit, when he had no items to display. He ended up displaying reproduction pirate props. I wasn't at all comfortable with it. I don't think that will be the case with your situation. Work directly with the museum. 

I would ask the following questions:
How long would they like you to loan the item?
How will it be displayed?
Ask about the building security and if it would be covered by insurance in the event of a fire, theft, etc.
and read the contract carefully.

Let us know how it goes!
Antiqueaholic in recovery