Author Topic: Two items that I'm hoping someone can help with more information  (Read 3300 times)

stoest

• View Profile
Two items that I'm hoping someone can help with more information
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »
I'm finally getting around to working through some of the things that I got from the house that my parents and grandparents lived in and there are a couple things that I'm hoping someone could help give me more information on so I'll be able to figure out what to do with them.

The first thing is a collection of stones? that I found in a Pharmacy Box labeled Lillys Mandelic Acid Tabs and the phone number on the box is "Phones 12 & 13".  I'm guessing that they were my grandfathers, he seemed to have hobbies like this.  Each group of stones was wrapped in a folded piece of paper and two of them had writing on them which you can see in the picture.  The colors on the picture are a little off, they're pretty shiny and hard to photograph.

The second item is a coat hanger? I'm guessing since there are two hooks on the bottom.  It's a sheet of metal (copper?) with the image you see in relief on the front and then on the back the edges are folded around a piece of wood which is around 3/8' of an inch thick.  The mirror has scallops on the edges and you can see that there's a chip on one side.  The whole thing is around 20 x 12 1/2 inches and is pretty dirty and it even looks like there's polish in the crevices of the relief but I don't want to try and clean it and then damage it. 

Any information that would help me understand these pieces would be greatly appreciated.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
Re: Two items that I'm hoping someone can help with more information
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 04:53:35 pm »
Can we see the back of the coat rack ??

stoest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »
Here's the back of the coat rack. The two screws that are holding the wire loops are a bit rusted but fairly modern and the screw part of the hooks are poking through the back and are shiny. No marks or signatures I can find.

Just FYI the picture is upside down.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »
The hat rack is a Victorian Repousse copper (looks like) Hat rack !!  Likely around 1890 or there about !!  They were usually hung in a hallway or entryway to hang hats rather than coats !! Mirror so ladies and gents could check their look before leaving the house !! Yours is an exceptionally nice one with the scalloped beveled glass !!  They are fairly rare !!  
How big is it ??

The stones need to be looked at by a gemologist !!  Some are an unusual shape !! Like the ones at the top with an apparent ridge lengthwise on it !! Did your Grandfather make jewelry as a hobby ??
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:02:21 pm by mart »

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
The stones look like a combo of beads and cabochons - I agree, they would most likely have been used in jewelry making or some other craft.  They resemble Mother of Pearl or Shell - I would have to get a closer look to really be able to tell.  I know a fair bit about gemstones, can you post a few up close pictures of the stones?  They could be Agate as well - the white ones could even be Opal but it's rare to find Opal in pieces that large and that evenly white.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:50:40 pm »
The mirror / hat rack would probably date back to after the Spanish American War. Yours is a somewhat different configuration than I've normally seen, but there were several patriotic versions offered during that time period. The finish normally is a copper flash plating over tin.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:12:31 pm »
   That glass was popular after 1900 !!  Could be later !!

stoest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:07:55 pm »
Thanks so much for the wealth of information so far.  I will try to get some better pictures of the stones with my not that great camera.  I don't know of jewely that my grandfather did but I have some pretty nice woodburnings that he did so I thought the stones would be in that same craft working arena.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:58:26 pm »
I don't know anything about this but I just wanted to say....wow!! That mirror/rack is gorgeous!!! I know my husband if he gets on here tomorrow will agree. We are very much into old furniture pieces/mirrors.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:05:45 am »
The hat rack is a Victorian Repousse copper (looks like) Hat rack !!  Likely around 1890 or there about !!  They were usually hung in a hallway or entryway to hang hats rather than coats !! Mirror so ladies and gents could check their look before leaving the house !! Yours is an exceptionally nice one with the scalloped beveled glass !!  They are fairly rare !!  
How big is it ??

The stones need to be looked at by a gemologist !!  Some are an unusual shape !! Like the ones at the top with an apparent ridge lengthwise on it !! Did your Grandfather make jewelry as a hobby ??
you are needing new cheaters...the dimensions are listed on the first post...20in x 12.1/2in.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:15:24 am »
From what I,ve seen...this is a a Hall Vanity mirror...and those 2 hooks should have had 2 brushes hanging from them....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-COPPER-GUILT-HALLWAY-VANITY-MIRROR-AND-BRUSHES-BLACK-LAQUER-PAINT-/251234334762?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item3a7ebbb82a
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 08:24:26 am »
Compare the Sailor and Soldier figures with this one (mirror and hooks missing) that has Uncle Sam and the USS Olympia depicted. (The Olympia was the flagship of Commodore Dewey at the battle of Manila Bay.)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 09:02:02 am »
Looks like same figures !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 09:03:43 am »
Must have skipped that line Wullie !!