Author Topic: any idea how old this is?  (Read 5368 times)

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
any idea how old this is?
« on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:38 am »
Hi people,

These are my first questions about an antique I recently purchased. I wondered if this candlestick is old? I think it's bronze. Can anybody tell that from the pictures? And can you tell me more? Hope to hear from you experts!

Thanks in advance!

All the best, Wietze

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: any idea how old this is?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:35:01 am »
It looks like bronze...with perhaps a bigger % of the 88% that is normally used..as the hue from what i can see is more coppery...is the large centre piece between the holders hollow as its hard to see from the pic..it looks like it is,..and if it is then this lump of bronze would have been sitting on top of something I think you need to use more light when taking pics...some more would help......
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:19 am »
Are they shell designs around the base ? The figures appear to be seahorses

Intriguing but the pics are blurred once enlarged.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:03 am »
I don,t think this has been cast as one piece..the candle holder on the right looks to have been inserted as opposed to being all the one piece

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:32:47 am »
I,ve had a really good look at this,..and am of the opinion that it does,nt have a lot of age to it...it looks like it may have been made within the last 20 years,..possibly in a metal workers studio,..it reminds me of work i saw by metal scupltors...in Brno..in the Czech R...I got this item there...a few years ago...

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »
Hi, I think it's cast from one piece and not put together, also it's hollow. Here are some more (hopefully) better pictures. Conclusions so far:
It's not old. (probably a reproduction?) and it's not bronze but copper? Hope to hear from you guys again! Thanx in advance!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 03:05:40 pm »
I think Bigwull meant it had a larger percentage of copper in the bronze than some pieces do !! It appears to be bronze which is a mixture of metals !! I would agree that this is a top piece to something !! And if you look where the candle holder attaches to the main body there is a seam that might indicate that at least that part was added after casting !!  You haven`t said how big this item is ??   

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:35:28 pm »
Ok, tnx.There are a few pins inside the base that confirm it was stuck to something else; but what? Glad to hear it's bronze and you can actually see some mix of metals in it. After a closer look I can now see what bigwull meant with his post: the 'seahorses' have been inserted on the candle holder, also they are not hollow.   

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 03:54:51 pm »
Hi, I think it's cast from one piece and not put together, also it's hollow. Here are some more (hopefully) better pictures. Conclusions so far:
It's not old. (probably a reproduction?) and it's not bronze but copper? Hope to hear from you guys again! Thanx in advance!
Watch my lips..."It looks like Bronze with a bigger % of copper than the 88% thats normally used"..if this was pure copper then the level of  "verdigris would be far greater...to the extent that this object should in fact be a blue green colour...and not the colour it is...which tells me it is bronze...as to it being a repo...i don,t think its a repo...as such...i think it may be an original...made by a sculptor/metal worker....knowing how you came by it might help..was it in Nederland..or outwith....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:03:10 pm »
There seems to be a little hole in the side of the head. Is there a matchinhg one on the other side? Where are you located?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »
I see there is a hole at the base too. Oh, and it is real heavy?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 04:10:45 pm »
There seems to be a little hole in the side of the head. Is there a matchinhg one on the other side? Where are you located?
He,s a Nedarlander...or Dutchman to you....i think you should tell hubby/son to stop yakking while your typing....either that or bin your spell checker....it ain,t working..... ;D

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 04:18:12 pm »
Watch my lips..."It looks like Bronze with a bigger % of copper than the 88% thats normally used"..if this was pure copper then the level of  "verdigris would be far greater...to the extent that this object should in fact be a blue green colour...and not the colour it is...which tells me it is bronze...as to it being a repo...i don,t think its a repo...as such...i think it may be an original...made by a sculptor/metal worker....knowing how you came by it might help..was it in Nederland..or outwith....

I bought this in the Netherlands, in a charity shop.

Are you sure this isn't more than 20 years old? The strange thing is that it looks like it was stuck to something else..what can that be?

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 04:19:28 pm »

There is also a small hole on the other side

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »
I see there is a hole at the base too. Oh, and it is real heavy?

It's heavy and about 30 cm// 11.8 inch high