Author Topic: question about a cup  (Read 3810 times)

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
question about a cup
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:43:00 pm »
Hi there! 

Since you're al so helpful with my last topic I've got one other item I've got some questions waiting to be answered. I bought this is a charity shop and I think it's old? Have someone got any ideas how old this is? Also I don't know the material of it. I doesn't stick to a magnet so it's not iron, but what can it be? I think it's copper..I hope some one can help me to determinate the origin of this item.

Thanks in advance!

Wietze

mart

• View Profile
Re: question about a cup
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 06:06:02 pm »
I would agree that it looks old ,hand made, and it looks like copper !!  The bowl was made then the foot was applied and decoration was hand done !!  Could have been for a liquor of some kind since it was made to drink from !!  Similar to the oriental tea sets that are made similar !!  Somehow I don`t think of the Dutch as tea drinkers though so I am going with liquor !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:40:58 am »
I would agree that it looks old ,hand made, and it looks like copper !!  The bowl was made then the foot was applied and decoration was hand done !!  Could have been for a liquor of some kind since it was made to drink from !!  Similar to the oriental tea sets that are made similar !!  Somehow I don`t think of the Dutch as tea drinkers though so I am going with liquor !!
The Dutch have many little Tea Cafe,s...I found a few when we visited Haarlem near to Amsterdam and Coffee Shops in Amsterdam....only trouble is...they don,t do a lot of drinking of beverages in these places...think more of the partaking of mind altering recreational drugs...which is legal...and then there will be coffee & tea to wet your whistle...as smoking hash..gives you a dry mouth...so your right about this not being a Dutch drinking bowl...but it could be Senegalese...or other east African..as the Dutch had many colonies there...and of course in the far east...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:29 am »

hahaha..I think it's for liquor yes! any Idea howl old it is?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:07:44 am »
You know,, I am so unfamiliar with how things evolved in that area that I wouldn`t have a clue as to age !!  Like Wullie said it could be that it isn`t originally from your area !!  There is really nothing definative about its style !!  If it had been posted from someone in say,,South Africa,, it would seem like a pretty common item !!  I just really don`t know enough to even guess on it !!

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:43 am »
I was wondering (when it is Dutch or European) if this is from around the middle ages or just like only 100 years old?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:29 am »
On ebay there are some middle eastern cups.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:47:57 am »
I was wondering (when it is Dutch or European) if this is from around the middle ages or just like only 100 years old?

Thats the problem,, it depends on where it is from because the progression would be different according to area !!  If Dutch or European,, 100 years is a possibility !!  I would look at other items from that time period and see if they are similar !!

Wietzedonckers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:29 am »

Thats the problem,, it depends on where it is from because the progression would be different according to area !!  If Dutch or European,, 100 years is a possibility !!  I would look at other items from that time period and see if they are similar !!

I understand the origin of the cup, the area where it was made is important to determine the age of the cup. But isn't it possible to look at corrosion, material etc to put an age on an item??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »
Not really !! That would depend on where it was kept and how, the weather, and many other things !!  For instance,, copper will age and develop corrosion faster in salt air that in mountain or desert (dry) air !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »

I understand the origin of the cup, the area where it was made is important to determine the age of the cup. But isn't it possible to look at corrosion, material etc to put an age on an item??
If I was an archaeologist..I might be able to say...but as i,m only a retired wood butcher...I,d have to say..pick a haystack...and find me the needle....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:06 pm »
Thats about right Wullie !!  I have plenty of haystacks,, you got the needle ??

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 05:02:41 am »
Thats about right Wullie !!  I have plenty of haystacks,, you got the needle ??
are they anything like this one.... ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Ruane