Author Topic: Another Proud Item, Do you think I am nuts? Civil Documents  (Read 4534 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
Another Proud Item, Do you think I am nuts? Civil Documents
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:24:02 am »
Some of you know that I LOVE old books and anything to do with the history of places. Well, here is another proud item I have (my wonderful husband bought for me at an auction, because I wanted so bad). They are Civil Court Dockets - handwritten from the County we live in. They start back in 1861 and end around the 1890's. The First Book I think is 1861 to 1870's and the 2nd continues from there to the 1890's. I love these books!! However, I wondered if you think I am nuts for what we paid for them? For both together $110 (55 each).  I know that it is to each his own and if he/she likes it enough. But for all of you, do you think it was way too much?
Here are some photos of them (the lighting is not very good and my son left the camera at his grandma's house, so again I had to use the ipod). 5 [photos (hope that is okay that I post that many - going to do 2 separate posts here so see below too).

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
Re: Another Proud Item, Do you think I am nuts? Civil Documents
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:24:46 am »
Here are the 3 other pictures of them.

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:42:42 am »
As you say...each to their own...they are not my cup of tea,....but I,ve got a friend who,d give his eye teeth...to get his mitts on these two pieces of Civil War  History...I sent him an email...and...his response was...whoever sold these for a paltry $110...needs their head looking into....and well done you....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:47 am »
Thank you! I appreciate that response. I love things that old. They actually had a few things in there that were Civil War Era, from photographs, Civil War camp stool, swords and other items of that Era. My husband will be posting later on today when he gets home and item he got. To me it was very interesting. He had a few people looking at it with interest (he is a collector too). Just in general there were a lot of really old/unique items. In the future, I want to go for odd and unusual, but still get what other items I collect.

I would love to preserve them somehow from getting in really bad condition, but I am not sure what to do about it. Other than making some kind of cover for them that won't stick to them.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
Fantastic! I just saved that as a favorite, so I can print it. That is very useful information! :) :) I appreciate that.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:33 am »
xmelax38 no problem. I found some old ledgers last year. I'll have to read up myself. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:19:42 pm by greenacres »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:55:27 pm »
Both you and Greenacres find some of the most interesting stuff !!  Excellent buy !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 08:20:43 pm »
Yes, and my husband would like me to part with more of it. ;D

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:13:33 pm »
Lol Ty! I have been looking through this stuff a good bit of the evening. :)

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:30:49 am »
Is that " H C Black " mentioned in the image with handwritten text in pencil ?

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:05:49 am »
That might be a G, I can't tell.

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 12:42:58 pm »
That might be a G, I can't tell.

Just that a H C Black was a member of the Calhoun Invincibles during the Civil War.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 02:01:25 pm »
You might want to have it checked out. You could email a museum with pictures. Maybe they could help you.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:51 pm »
I looked at another signature and it appears to be a G, unfortunately. I am looking at this a little more to see what other names are in it. :)  the other book has something interesting in it. I will post a pic later on.