Author Topic: Old Doors Question  (Read 4427 times)

Yazaam

• View Profile
Old Doors Question
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »
I am new to this, so I'll do my best to get all pertinent details included in the post. I was visiting Rheinland-Pfalz, in Western Germany for a few weeks and pulled these old doors out of the barn. Apparently they were from an old part (120 years perhaps) of the house that had been torn down a dozen years before. I was wondering if anyone had a clue on their age, period & potential value?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:31:31 pm by Yazaam »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Old Doors Question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:19 pm »
The Rheinland Palatinate...to give it its proper name was formed after 1945..its capital city is Mainz...as you have said in Western Germany, can i take it that you visited there pre 1989...these doors are quite common..and examples can still be found today..They are most likely made of pine,..but could be oak,will measure in excess of 2.4m.high by about the same wide if not more,.the grill insert will most likely be made of cast iron...they were normally situated at the entrance to a corridor...that led to the individual apartments...the stained glass door would have been at the entrance to the apartment...age wise...probably..ea rly 1800,s.. Architectural value will depend on...do you have all the pieces,..are they whole,..and most importantly...what country are you in...If you are in GB,then prices for this type of thing are quite high...especially when someone is doing a barn conversion...I have seen doors like this,once they have been restored  change hands for £600/700.+...now that i am refreshed...looking at the glazed door...the glass centre panel has an acid etched motif,..the side panels also will have been acid etched...as you picked them up in the Rheinland...would,nt it be great if they came from this street....as I picked this up at a floh markt..in Trier...which happens to be the oldest city in Germany...having been founded by the Romans...in 16BC...and this whole area is renowned for its wine,especially around the  Moselle valley,There is also the city Koblenz,which is  famous for the Legend of Lorelei...
http://www.angelfire.com/moon2/lorelei10/Lorelei2.html
here also is a pic of the rhine as it flows past the Rock of Lorelei...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:50:08 am by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:40:44 am »
I am completely blown away by that answer Bigwull. 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:32 pm »
Germany..is like my adopted country...and this topic was right up my street,..I,know this area very well,..its great motorcycling country...and the weather during the summer..is perfect,not too hot..at around 22/25deg,..and as it is a wine growing region..the winters are usually mild,..and another reason for going to this region is the close proximity..of the Nurburgring...where you can ..if you have the bottle, take your car round the circuit...Not for the feint hearted...i once hit 175mph...on my ZZR1100...for all of 10secs then my brain regained possession of my right hand... ;D

Yazaam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »
Bigwull, thanks for the information, it was extremely helpful.

They were from Pfeffelbach, but I absolutely love Trier. I've been there several times and just can't get enough of the city.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:07:07 pm »
I have a great love for Germany, and its people,I have many fond memories of this area, and also of Bayern...which to me is very similar,...with its castles, gorge,s, and plonk...and not forgetting Bratwurst mit brochen,mit senf...for fruhstuck... :)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »
...and not forgetting Bratwurst mit brochen,mit senf...for fruhstuck... :)

Still trying to 'hear' this in my head......German... ...with a Scottish accent!! ::)

;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:13:13 am »
as long as you don,t think..along the lines of Hogans Heroes...when they mimicked private Schultze....like, vee have vays of makin you talk,... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:49:03 am »
and just in case you are wondering...bratwur st..is like a white mealy sausage,brotchen is a bread roll,and senf...is mild mustard...you also get bockwurst...which is like a giant frankfurter...and they also have currywurst...

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:46:14 am »
I love Cologne. Currywurst on the Rhine. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 05:28:27 am »
most people stick Cologne...on their bods after a shave or a wash...but not you...your drinking the stuff...now had you said, I love currywurst...in Koln on the Rhine...i would have understood... :D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:35 am »
Oh, and you asked about the date at the beginning of the post. Ca. 1890.

I live in the "Missouri Rheinland." The bratwurst around here rivals that found in Mainz, Koln, or the Romantische Strasse for that matter. I wish I had some for fruhstuck right now.... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:19:27 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:35 am »
Oh, and you asked about the date at the beginning of the post. Ca. 1890.

I live in the "Missouri Rheinland." The bratwurst around here rivals that found in Mainz, Koln, or the Romantische Strasse for that matter. I wish I had some for frushstuck right now.... ;D ;D
I rode over the Romantische Strasse...from Wurzburg..which is twinned with my home city of Dundee,..to Fussen,...i also like  Obersaltzberg near Berchtesgaden...Avr il and I had lunch in the restaurant..in the Tea House at the Eagles Nest...we also took a boat ride on the Konigsee,and visited St Bartholemews Chapel,...this whole area is fantastic motorcycling country...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=berchtesgaden&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9JA0Ud_4NM64hAfbsoHwDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=651

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 06:30:07 am »
    Reply with quoteQuote
(Oh, and you asked about the date at the beginning of the post. Ca. 1890.)..did I...don,t think so...there was no West Germany in 1890

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:29 am »
most people stick Cologne...on their bods after a shave or a wash...but not you...your drinking the stuff...now had you said, I love currywurst...in Koln on the Rhine...i would have understood... :D

Mmmm,, I understood perfectly !!