Author Topic: Two old chairs  (Read 7059 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Two old chairs
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 09:17:39 am »
I would guess style and materials.  Glad to see that we can put that mid 20th century dating to rest. The only thing mid 20th about these is the (re) upholstry, which looks more like 1960s or 70s.

I would think the chairs are closer to 1880 than 1860, but there you go.

And while we're at it, thanks mucho for actually going to the trouble to come back to update us!! So many just pose a question, then you never hear from them again.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

livinglucky

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 10:56:13 am »
Mart, I do not know what his reasoning.
He did seem to know what he was looking at.
Thanks again

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »
I would bet a coke ( drinkable kind ) that you can find many similarities if you google "1940s repro French Provincial chairs" than you can googling "1860 to 1880 French Provincial chairs  !! 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 01:13:15 pm »
I would bet a coke ( drinkable kind ) that you can find many similarities if you google "1940s repro French Provincial chairs" than you can googling "1860 to 1880 French Provincial chairs  !! 
What would you know about coke...other than the drinkable kind....you told us you were a drinks only...temptress,.....in your younger days,...which,by your age  means that you were the right age during the late sixties...when all of these M.A.D,s...were going about...those were the day,s indeed.... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:51 pm »
And what basis did they give for that date ?? 

And who was he ?

I just can't see mid / late 19th in those. The quality in this pair is much better

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/price-guide/lot-13698108

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:50 pm »
Thats why I added "drinkable kind" !!  Have no clue about anything else !!  Sheltered life,, remember ???  :D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 03:18:11 pm »
Thats why I added "drinkable kind" !!  Have no clue about anything else !!  Sheltered life,, remember ???  :D
Sheltered life ...my arse,...by saying the drinkable kind..implied you knew more than you were letting on...and as you,d have been 20 in 1969....height of Flower Power, Woodstock etc....you,re telling us...that you led a sheltered life....yeah....and Pigs,ll fly....unless they were .like pigs on the wing....which came a bit later....you,re getting  to be a bit like,G,acre...........you,re "worth a watching"...... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 04:26:26 pm »
Flower power was not popular in Mesquite, Texas !!  Trust me on that !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 04:44:59 pm »
Flower power was not popular in Mesquite, Texas !!  Trust me on that !!
Yeah well, maybe if it had been....it would,nt have done it any harm.....and you might have got your one and only taste of an M.A.D, ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »
People, Victorian chairs had porcelain casters!!!!!!!  Wish I could see a better close up of bottom/construction.

I'm a thinkin' these just possibly could be older Mart!!!  Just have had a "face lift" or touch of "botox" along the way!  Would need to see better.
AND yes Wullies, I have High Speed Fios!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 07:16:55 pm »
 I honestly don`t think it is KC !!  But only a hands on could say for sure and I ain`t there !! I think its as it was made in the 40`s !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 09:05:00 pm »
People, Victorian chairs had porcelain casters!!!!!!!  Wish I could see a better close up of bottom/construction.

I'm a thinkin' these just possibly could be older Mart!!!  Just have had a "face lift" or touch of "botox" along the way!  Would need to see better.
AND yes Wullies, I have High Speed Fios!!!

Absolutely! I said as much also. Glad that the "hands on" evaluator agrees as well.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 04:22:02 am »
Sheltered life ...my arse,......you,re telling us...that you led a sheltered life....yeah....and Pigs,ll fly.......... ;D

Of course she's been living a sheltered life. She's not the one bragging about fixin up her 1st livable abode. ;) ;)