Author Topic: how can you tell between copper and brass and does copper turn green?  (Read 2111 times)

antiquequest

• View Profile
thanks in advance!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: how can you tell between copper and brass and does copper turn green?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »
Verdigris is the common name for a green pigment obtained through the application of acetic acid to copper plates[1] or the natural patina formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered and exposed to air or seawater over a period of time,..the difference between copper and brass is twofold,..1).copper is reddish brown in colour..and brass is yellow,or gold coloured...and is an alloy of copper and zinc...it to turns green over a period of time...but not to the same effect as copper...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

antiquequest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »
thankyou sir!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:57:00 pm »
Verdigris is the common name for a green pigment obtained through the application of acetic acid to copper plates...

And the most common acetic acid that most people had at hand...was pee! I remember an old general contractor foreman on a new church project that was designed with an "aged" sheet copper roof over the nave. After the copper was installed, he would bark out an order to anyone that didn't appear busy enough: "Go up and pi_ _ on the roof!" :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 08:00:33 pm »
Now that is a mental image for you !!!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 06:16:09 am »
Verdigris is the common name for a green pigment obtained through the application of acetic acid to copper plates...

And the most common acetic acid that most people had at hand...was pee! I remember an old general contractor foreman on a new church project that was designed with an "aged" sheet copper roof over the nave. After the copper was installed, he would bark out an order to anyone that didn't appear busy enough: "Go up and pi_ _ on the roof!" :D

;D ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cs80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 02:58:22 pm »

Yup, I have read about sculptors instructing their assistants to pee on the completed bronze statues.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:49 am »
Wow...the images that entertains of that church Rauville.

When I grew up in Florida, Frank Lloyd Wright built a college in the town next to me and had students collect urine to paint on for patina/aging.  Or, so the story goes.  And yes, IF THE URINE IS ACIDIC, it will work slowly over time.

Vinegar works better!

Urine does produce the bluish color but takes a long time.  Believe it or not there are two quicker ways that work well.  Liquid plant food or ammonia/salt!  The final step is important.  Once you achieve the color PRESERVE IT!!!  Try using a furniture wax with beeswax, clear lacquer spray....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!