Author Topic: Hall Stand  (Read 6212 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Hall Stand
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:15 am »
I come up with a couple of pages of them on e - bay with a nice variety of materials and appearances. Check under antiques.

Since our etagere has open shelves adjacent to the cabinet then I can only say that it meets the definition and thanks for doing my legwork for me!!
that,s ok...I,ll just stick it on your bill.... ;)
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 10:24:06 am »
I also believe that this was a hall cabinet!  Simply elegant and entirely useful.

However, to get off on a tangent....Etagere - http://quezi.com/14180

The one they are referring to is the original intent of the Étagère!  Such as this gorgeous French Étagère'!

Pretty much the pic that you chose Wullie is a "plain ole' shelf'.  Boring and plain (referred to as an etagere as well by many in this day and age for lack of a better word)...However an etagere' was intended for proudly and ELEGANTLY displaying items of value or interest and were deemed more elaborate or gracefully pleasing to the eye (even if in simple shelf style -  was made with eye-pleasing turned wood pieces, and/or exotic woods etc.)

Also endearingly called a Whatnot for displaying whatnots!  Some did have small drawers but were commonly open display.

Po-tat-to, Po-tah-to   (differences...all in the eye of the beholder!)

Today they even refer to the shelving that goes around a toilet/lu/throne to be a etagere - Makes me cringe!!!!!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:26:30 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 10:26:59 am »
My points exactly. Well done KC!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:30 am »
Ditto what KC / Ghopper said !!  Everyone used to have a Whatnot  !!

Ipcress

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 11:15:48 am »
I also believe that this was a hall cabinet!  Simply elegant and entirely useful.

The one they are referring to is the original intent of the Étagère!  Such as this gorgeous French Étagère'!

Pretty much the pic that you chose Wullie is a "plain ole' shelf'.  Boring and plain (referred to as an etagere as well by many in this day and age for lack of a better word)...However an etagere' was intended for proudly and ELEGANTLY displaying items of value or interest and were deemed more elaborate or gracefully pleasing to the eye (even if in simple shelf style -  was made with eye-pleasing turned wood pieces, and/or exotic woods etc.)

Also endearingly called a Whatnot for displaying whatnots!  Some did have small drawers but were commonly open display.

Po-tat-to, Po-tah-to   (differences...all in the eye of the beholder!)

Today they even refer to the shelving that goes around a toilet/lu/throne to be a etagere - Makes me cringe!!!!!

Never, ever have they been " what-nots ". What-nots are the more basic etageres and usually no more than waist high.

Etageres are more decorative but again generally smaller than what you have illustrated, which are more commonly referred to as a parlour cabinet, vitrine or similar.

And what you've linked to as a French Etagere looks more Edwardian Sheraton to me. Never as popular as you'd think.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 11:48:29 am »

The one they are referring to is the original intent of the Étagère!  Such as this gorgeous French Étagère'!

Pretty much the pic that you chose Wullie is a "plain ole' shelf'.  Boring and plain (referred to as an etagere as well by many in this day and age for lack of a better word)...However an etagere' was intended for proudly and ELEGANTLY displaying items of value or interest and were deemed more elaborate or gracefully pleasing to the eye (even if in simple shelf style -  was made with eye-pleasing turned wood pieces, and/or exotic woods etc.)

Po-tat-to, Po-tah-to   (differences...all in the eye of the beholder!)

Never, ever have they been " what-nots ". What-nots are the more basic etageres and usually no more than waist high.

Etageres are more decorative but again generally smaller than what you have illustrated, which are more commonly referred to as a parlour cabinet, vitrine or similar.

And what you've linked to as a French Etagere looks more Edwardian Sheraton to me. Never as popular as you'd think.
Would you care to re-phrase...Never,ever have they been"what-nots" ;D..see link...

A what-not is a piece of furniture derived from the French étagère, which was exceedingly popular in England in the first three-quarters of the 19th century. It usually consists of slender uprights or pillars, supporting a series of shelves for holding china, ornaments, trifles, or what not, hence the allusive name. In its English form, although a convenient piece of drawing room furniture, it was rarely beautiful. The early mahogany examples are, however, sometimes graceful in their simplicity

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 12:22:33 pm »

" it was rarely beautiful "

Simple because the people who bought them couldn't afford an etagere or remember what one was called..thus " what-not ". Some will say it's a " what-not " because later, people used them for the little trinkets and things, generally small items of little value.

When cataloguing or describing these, anyone who has an ounce of experience will not refer to those in the posts above as " what-nots ".

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:45 pm »
well at least we agree on something...this black "hall stand" is not ..Etagere...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 01:13:33 pm »
No, we don't agree on that at all.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »
Ipcress, I laughed out loud when I read your reply.  I had intended to put a note above that is noted in the US - and most notedly in the SOUTHERN us....because I am a SOUTHERNER! And in the South (USA) the gals call this a Whatnot!  LOLOL  So, obviously you are not in the deep south!

Kinda like the word pecan.  Pronounced 'pah-con' it is a nut meat that you eat.  Pronounced 'pee-can' it was a container hid under the bed that you used for middle of the night "nature calls".  :)

But...just for sparring sake....note the museum reference to etagere and whatnot!  :)
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/1999.50.2

and the reference under the pics above "Etagere for a cottage, and mirrored etagere for a grand house - 1850s designs (PD-EXP)"
http://quezi.com/14180
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:04:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »
No, we don't agree on that at all.
who rattled your cage... ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »
Ipcress, I laughed out loud when I read your reply.  I had intended to put a note above that is noted in the US - and most notedly in the SOUTHERN us....because I am a SOUTHERNER! And in the South (USA) the gals call this a Whatnot!  LOLOL  So, obviously you are not in the deep south!

Kinda like the word pecan.  Pronounced 'pah-con' it is a nut meat that you eat.  Pronounced 'pee-can' it was a container hid under the bed that you used for middle of the night "nature calls".  :)

But...just for sparring sake....note the museum reference to etagere and whatnot!  :)

and the reference under the pics above "Etagere for a cottage, and mirrored etagere for a grand house - 1850s designs (PD-EXP)"
http://quezi.com/14180
He is a Southerner...South of England...and as for your pee-can..over here it was more commonly known as a pish-pot..by the commoners..and a chamber pot by the landed gentry...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:10 pm »
Wullie....you are tooooooo much!  :)   :)   :) 

Ipcress

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »

You'll note that i said etageres are more elaborately decorated what-nots ?

I do love Southern food though. Aiming to travel there in the next couple of years

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 04:13:36 pm »

You'll note that i said etageres are more elaborately decorated what-nots ?

I do love Southern food though. Aiming to travel there in the next couple of years
they tell me you get good seafood on the south coast..only about 3 /4 hours drive from where you are...