Author Topic: antique table  (Read 1765 times)

trichards

• View Profile
antique table
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:11:53 am »
I have an antique cherry drop leaf table.  It was used by my great great grandfather who died in 1922 at the age of 86 in Canton, Ohio.  
The table is solid cherry.  The wood is one inch thick. The top and drop leaves are single pieces of figured cherry.  There are no glue joints in the table. There are wooden hinges for the swing legs that hold up the table leaves and there are unevenly spaced saw marks on the underside of the lumber that suggests to me that the lumber may have been cut with a pit saw.
What I am interested in is the age of the table.
The story behind the table and the Lincoln rocker is that my great great grandfather Kept his Bible on the table and would sit in the rocker next to the table and read his Bible.  When he died the rocker was moved to the porch of the old log house where my great grandparents lived.  My grandmother collected the chair, table and Bible from the old home place before it was sold.  I refinished and caned the rocker 40 years ago.  It was hanging by its rockers in the rafters of the barn with bailing twine woven for a seat. The table I recently acquired from my uncle's estate.  My sister has the Bible.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:30:49 pm by trichards »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: antique table
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:24:54 am »
Sounds like 19th century, but we'll need more photos including some overall pictures.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:37 am »
Need to see the entire table and the underside with a larger view, Please !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:48:49 am »
Ditto!  Entire side view, top view, and underside please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

trichards

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
Attached here are pictures of the table top, a side view of the table with the leaf detached and the one leaf by itself. The color seems different in the pictures of the top versus the leaf, but it is because of the lighting

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:18 pm »
Beautiful! I'd guess 1860-1880.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:02:01 pm »
I agree. Maybe even a bit earlier. The quality of the wood and the feet are a good indicator. It is rare for the points of the feet to be that good. Over 150 years of sliding usually wears them down a bit. Some had casters but I don't think this piece ever did. I have an old piece that spent most of its life in a stable and the feet have been reduced to balls.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:40 pm »
The underside and how its is made is an important indicator !! Hard to tell much with sideways pics !!