Author Topic: Seeking value and information  (Read 7963 times)

Tatummoma

• View Profile
Seeking value and information
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »
My mother and I recently acquired 2 beautiful Tiffany style pendant lights. Inside the ceiling mounts they have the letters L&L WMC and the numbers 9089 slip 1 1/16 and 9088 slip 1/8. We have found out that L&L WMC (loevsky&loevsky white metal casting) was a company that was started in the 1930's and closed in the 1970's. We have found many L&L WMC table lamps on EBAY and such but have yet to find any information pertaining to the 2 fixtures we have. The dome shaped light has a 36 inch chain and mount and is approximately 60 and 1/4 inches around the outer bottom edge. The other light with the raised top has a 35 inch chain and mount and is approximately 69 and 3/4 inches around the outer bottom edge with the raised scoop on top being 5 inches. If anyone could help us get more information and possibly an appraisal on these two pieces it would be very much appreciated.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking value and information
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:17:26 pm »
Not that I know much about these lamp shades..but i can tell from the wiring that they are relatively old as this wiring looks to be obsolete...as it is 3 separate wires....and not twin and earth...single cable..
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Tatummoma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:21:06 pm »
Thank you bigwull any and all information is appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:24:45 pm »
They are plastic arent they ?? Not glass ??

Tatummoma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:27:42 pm »
@ Mart No they are both glass here are a couple closer pictures.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:32:29 pm by Tatummoma »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »
They are plastic arent they ?? Not glass ??
said with conviction...Get yourself another pair...the ones you,ve got on ain,t working...why would they have old style wiring and plastic shades.... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:57 pm »
Even in the 30`s we used single phase, two wire circuits with a hot and a ground wire !!  Where is a three wire cord ?? I couldn`t see it in the pics !!  There are some things it is used for but not residential lighting in the USA that I know of !!

Tatummoma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 08:07:50 pm »
Would it help any if I added a picture of the wires?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:16:49 pm »
I can see the wires the pics expand right out.for me...but then...i,m on broadband.....unlik e Mart.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 08:47:12 pm »
Really not necessary,, you can look at the underside of the medallion and see if there are two or three connecting wires !! I checked with several different sites and L&L WMC specialized in reproductions of earlier lighting styles !! Values on most were around $50. to $75. !!  The connecting chain between the light and the ceiling medallion is not relevant for value because just like today they could add parts to extend the length and that was usually not included at purchase !!  Almost all came with a certain length chain but you could add parts to make it longer for additional money !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:44 pm »
http://www.artifactcollectors.com/have-you-heard-of-l-l-wmc-480844.html
Scroll down a bit. They are reproductions of the 20's.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Tatummoma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:39:07 pm »
Thank you greenacres for the info. And mart We do know that current value is more than $50-75. We are definitely not antique experts but during our research we have learned that most collectors and what not do feel that having all original parts can increase an antiques value (IE ceiling mount and chain).

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 06:42:26 am »
These look to be the kind of reproductions of early Tiffany that could commonly be found over pool or kitchen tables in the 1970s. Nice that they're made of glass, but I don't think Mart was that far off in value: maybe $75-$100 apiece if you're lucky.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:34:50 am »
To me they appear to be shades made in the 1980s and married to older wiring. The shades have leading that looks hand done in the US as opposed to the imports of the time which generally had thicker and cruder leading. Older shades were usually foiled and traces of gold can be seen. The colors are typical of the 80's. I have a small table lamp right in front of me that was made in the same colors. When I was in the lighting industry a friend of mine named Stanley from Glo Light used to bring shades on his truck and I would pick out the ones I wanted for the store. We had to wire them ourselves with clusters or we bought table lamp bases form him separately depending on the size. Table lamp shades were in the 16 to 18 inch range. He never wired them because of he had no UL registration. During the 80s mauve was very popular color. You would be hard pressed to find it used in older pieces.  Stanley was an artist that could create anything from contemporary designs  Tiffany Wisteria and Dragonfly repro's that were to die for. He was one of many talented glass artisans of the day but a cut above all the others. He eventually gave in to the Dale Tiffany Company's imports that were half the cost.

When items you sold as new wind up in the antique stores it means you are also vintage. Thank God the term comes from fine wine and not obsolescence.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:18 am »
Even in the 30`s we used single phase, two wire circuits with a hot and a ground wire !!  Where is a three wire cord ?? I couldn`t see it in the pics !!  There are some things it is used for but not residential lighting in the USA that I know of !!

It does appear to have 3 wires, a double (gnd & hot) and a small ground wire.

And "yes", Mart, lots of residental lighting now uses 3-wire and/or 3-wire w/gnd. It is used for multi-bulb fixtures and mandatory for 3 or 4 way switches.

A ceiling fan with a light would have a 3-wire connection to 2 different switches.

But a single bulb fixture, ..... 2 wires is all ya need. But new Code says ya gotta have 3 to pass Inspection. 2-wire cable w/gnd ..... like the lamp above, whenever wired directly to the "main".