Author Topic: G. Schroter oil on canvas help!  (Read 8720 times)

dezertrzr

• View Profile
G. Schroter oil on canvas help!
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:05:26 pm »
Hi guys, Here`s a G.SCHROTER painting I have done a ton of research on and just haven't found a whole lot. It belonged to my grandmother so it`s ancient but when you start seeing staples on the back of the frame it makes me wonder. What do you think worth anything or junk? Just trying to figure out whats worth keeping! Thank you!

mart

• View Profile
Re: G. Schroter oil on canvas help!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:18:04 pm »
Its pretty darn new so we will have to go on the artist !! Is it 16X20 or 14x18 ??  Canvas only, not frame !!  Frame syle is 60`s or thereabout !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:19 pm »
This artist doesn`t seem to be a listed one !! There is no name G. Schroter on either list that I checked !! He is a 20th century artist so your painting is likely late 50`s or 60`s !!  In liiking at your closeup,, I am almost sure you have a Giclee print rather than an original art piece !!  I can see colors and shading but no brush strokes !! Can you run your hand across it and see if you can feel any paint ridges even if slight ones ??  If it feels perfectly flat with nothing raised above the canvas,, its a giclee print !! This method reproduces everything except the brush strokes and is a common way for artists to make a living when people are not buying originals !!  His work does not sell for much that I found !!

dezertrzr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:45 pm »
Take a look at where I`m measuring, It comes out to 16x12 and the canvas is stapled to the sides of the outer frame. I came up with all kinds  of crazy things about the name, He changed it, He was German, Then he was born in Asia. I give up! You can most definitely feel bumps from the paint, I took a few more pics paintings arent my thing to begin with and I give up! I have another one to!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:12:18 pm »
That shows some brush strokes at least !! G. Schroter from what  found was a Dutch artist !!  There are several with that name !!  Let me check more tomorrow,, I am tired tonight !! Had company all day !!

dezertrzr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:41 pm »
It looks like a Dutch scene. I don`t know I`m leaving it up to the experts I give up on this. And thanks for your help guys! I`ll take some pics of the other one tomorrow. Same deal different scene.  ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:05:50 am »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:22:35 am »

dezertrzr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:02:36 am »
Now we`re getting somewhere. Here`s something interesting  I copied off artfact....
"Georg Schröter (1535-1586)
Aliases: Georg Schröder; Georg Schroter; Georg Schrotter"
"Professions: Sculptor" So the guy has three different names and he`s sculptor according to them. See why this drove me crazy! And it`s not the only thing I have that`s been illusive to get info on. Like I said hours of searching items. I`ll take some pics of the other one in a few.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
There seems to be varied opinions as to the value on works by the artist(s) of this name.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/schroter-dutch-french-20th-original-245363125

Check out lot #460 here:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/CatalogPrint.asp?aid=39474

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:53 am »
He was not the sculptor !!  Different Schroter !! Yours was a 20th century artist !!  I looked at all those links !!  You can find his pantings easy enough but most either didn`t sell or were priced way above market value !! Only one I found selling was at Goodwill !! 

dezertrzr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 11:20:15 am »
There seems to be varied opinions as to the value on works by the artist(s) of this name.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/schroter-dutch-french-20th-original-245363125

Check out lot #460 here:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/CatalogPrint.asp?aid=39474

Good grief! I the wood panel painting just like the one on worth point and it sold for around $4000. Then they say pass on lot #460 and THEN you got the guy asking $10 Grand! Alright I`m just going to ask $10,000 obo if anyone is interested. Lol  ;D That`s why I gave up the search had enough!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:34:49 am »
Asking and getting is totally different !! I looked through three more world lists and this guy is not there !!  So this person was a 20th century artist, who sold a few but not nearly enough to be listed and his saving grace is that he painted in a similar style to other early Dutch artists !! Your stretcher frame and canvas is modern so it doesn`t have age on its side either !! Sorry but if you can get $300. to $500. you are doing well !!  Take it to a gallery and see !!

dezertrzr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 11:44:27 am »
is he this G Schroter?.....

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9216508

Now that`s the wood panel piece I was talking about, They say it sold for $1500...Once again it`s a bit odd but anywho here`s the other one. I think it`s hideous, Both of them! Same size just laid out lengthwise.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 12:13:46 pm »
You,re correct...if I did,nt know better I,d have to say that yours and this one were framed by the same person...either that..or its a mighty strange coincidence...that yours and this one have identical frames..but were done by two different people...."the plot thickens"...