Author Topic: Teak Furniture (Antique?) Valuation/ Ideas For Sale  (Read 3895 times)

Davidvm3

• View Profile
Teak Furniture (Antique?) Valuation/ Ideas For Sale
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:28:06 pm »
Hello,

My Wife's grandfather just passed away recently and I was left in charge of tracking down the value of some of his furniture. We are fairly confident all of the peices listed are teak, but if any are not please correct us.

We have looked at similar pieced valued all together from 13k to 18k and we were hoping for some realistic prices for furniture bought most likely in the 1960s and ideas on where to sell them in the southern california area (or if we should just sell them at an estate sale).

The table has 2 19 inch leaves that go with it as well.

Thanks for any help/advice!

David

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Teak Furniture (Antique?) Valuation/ Ideas For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:26 am »
I don,t see Antique furniture here...and unless it has been designed or made by a well known person..then I see very little in the way of Value...in fact I,ve probably put better into my woodburner...If i was to put a name on it, I,d have to say G.Plan...which was a well known make in the 60,s,..that had influences of Scandinavian designers..if by chance that these pieces were designed by a Scandinavian...then they will have value...you can check here for similarities...

http://www.greatdanefurniture.com/Danish-Furniture/Designers.aspx
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:28 am »
Have you looked under each piece for a label or makers name ?? Mid century modern/ danish modern  is pretty hot in some areas !! These almost look to be done by same company / designer !!  All look to be original and in good condition !! If you are looking online for a value on these,, without being by a noted designer,,they will not make that price !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
Without a good name these pieces are in the few hundred range each.  MCM is pretty hot here but even at that people will only pay big money for signed pieces.  I would love to see the links to the prices that you found, perhaps those dealers would be willing to pay better $.   Do you have a good auction house near you, they are usually pretty good about online valuations.  GG

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:04 pm »
"Few hundred range each"...you are being too generous...over here in Scotland...i doubt if you,d get £200 the lot...as i said in the first post..i,ve chopped up better for firewood...and unless these have a quality designer,s signature...then I,m afraid these just won,t sell...for 1K let alone double K,s

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:15:27 pm »
"Few hundred range each"...you are being too generous...over here in Scotland...i doubt if you,d get £200 the lot...as i said in the first post..i,ve chopped up better for firewood...and unless these have a quality designer,s signature...then I,m afraid these just won,t sell...for 1K let alone double K,s

No I'm not being too generous, there is a market for teak MCM furniture here.  The sofa looks like a small scale one which is hard to find, so retail would be about $500 C$, I can't see the table & chair set, but if it's in good condition 500-600 C$.  This is why it's so important to know where people are located when they ask for values.  ~ GG

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:24:12 pm »

No I'm not being too generous, there is a market for teak MCM furniture here.  The sofa looks like a small scale one which is hard to find, so retail would be about $500 C$, I can't see the table & chair set, but if it's in good condition 500-600 C$.  This is why it's so important to know where people are located when they ask for values.  ~ GG

There's a market for it on Ebay, too. Sells well in the UK,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 03:41:04 pm »

GG27 he said Southern California !!  Your prices are about right !!

Davidvm3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:03:49 pm »
Thanks for the ideas! Any more ideas on selling price? Right now were looking at selling it at an estate sale (which would actually by in Lompoc), consignment, or auction house!

What about this buffet? What would it run?

And there are 6 chairs that go with the table - we found similar chairs here for 650 each for the chairs
http://www.danishteakclassics.com/products/danish-modern-dining-chairs-5/

The chair set says its made by Bruno Hansen. It's from the 1960s so yes, not actually antique... :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:09:42 pm by Davidvm3 »

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:36 pm »
Is the table Hansen, too ? Could be worth a few bob

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 04:35:17 pm »
Like i said in my first post...if these pieces were Scandinavian designed..they would have value...

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »

GG27 he said Southern California !!  Your prices are about right !!

:-[  Oops, missed the location!   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 08:13:02 pm »
Yes the buffet would do well too if you get the right bidders at the auction/sale !! Almost anything in this style should sell well !! Buffet if no name around $400. known maker would be more !!  If you are not handling the sale I would ask what kind of advertising the auction does to promote sales !!  That would be the key to getting the right buyers and best prices !!

Davidvm3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 12:27:18 am »
We have looked at similar pieced valued all together from 13k to 18k and we were hoping for some realistic prices for furniture bought most likely in the 1960s and ideas on where to sell them in the southern california area (or if we should just sell them at an estate sale).

Thanks for the ideas! Ya by this quote I meant I know that price isn't realistic and I wanted some realistic ideas on what they would fetch. I appreciate all the advice!!  Sounds like I need to either find an auction house or maybe just keep them in the family :)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:08 am »
I'd keep them. I doubt that you'd get enough money in a sale.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford