Author Topic: Moving on from Schroter.. Nothing that`s gonna blow you away just need some info  (Read 3066 times)

dezertrzr

• View Profile
Alright here we go, Like I said nothing great but researched and didn't come up with much. Ask me about Aviation, Gunsmithing, Race cars and anything that`s loud and fast and I`ll probably know but this stuff forget it.....I really dig maps and globes, The 1947 cloth/sillk escape map my I have from my father when he was in the Air Force is much neater but this one is kinda neat. It`s a waterway/port navigation map (from what I see) of Dunkerque. Measures  21.5"x16.5" and it`s mounted on Alphamat artcare board. Then someone wrote "1918" at the top in lead which to me is a bit weird but ok. So in your opinion is this a waterway nav. map? Is it anything special or just some novelty item? 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
And you,re here to save your sanity....at whose expense....ours!!....may i suggest you fast forward to your next obscure item.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
Thats sure what it looks like as well as a list of places you might need within that port !!  I would guess its from the 40`s or so !! Don`t think they had Chamber of Commerce in 1918 !! Not sure though !!

dezertrzr

• View Profile
And you,re here to save your sanity....at whose expense....ours!!....may i suggest you fast forward to your next obscure item.... ;D

Hahaha! You haven't even begun to see obscure I`ve got some crazy stuff trust me you`ll see. I`m on a machinists forum and these guys are milling out aerospace parts and there where some things they couldn't identify! These are people that make parts with such tight tolerances it`s ridiculous and a single fitting or small brace can cost thousands. Look up Navarro engineering or Barney Navarro the guy was a legend as far as engine building and running a Ford Rambler twin Turbo in the Indy 500. My dad was Barneys chief mechanic on the Indy car and also worked with him on all the Bonneville salt flat cars, Boats and who knows what else. So there`s some far out experimental stuff I`ve got. Haven't found a flux capacitor yet though.....I`ll stick to my ugly paintings, Documents, Weird copper/Brass stuff, Statues etc. on here. Ah! Just remembered about a spoon I have. Looks prehistoric and handmade but the craftsmanship is unbelievable. We`ll wait on that one.  ;)

I`ll try and attach some old school Indy 500/Car pics they`re big so it takes days to load, Sometimes times out.  

dezertrzr

• View Profile
Ya that took forever to post the above. The car in the first pic is Barney Navarro`s Indy car and the guy in the middle with his hands on his hips is my dad. The second pic is the belly tank car at the flats...

We gotta focus on the map though.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:55:02 pm by dezertrzr »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
i,ll let the others focus on the map...

mart

• View Profile
Now those are oldies !~  Just resize your pics to a smaller file !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
yeah and stick your obscura...to the back of the queue...

dezertrzr

• View Profile

Come on see it as a challenge it`s fun!  ;D Just had a pretty decent earthquake in So-Cal about 11min ago. The map is ok though nothing happened to it thank god.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

Come on see it as a challenge it`s fun!  ;D Just had a pretty decent earthquake in So-Cal about 11min ago. The map is ok though nothing happened to it thank god.
Drat...some people have all the luck.... :D

mart

• View Profile
LOL !!  I take it that this type map is not your thing Wullie ???

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Not my cup of tea at all,...would,nt even be able to get heat out of it.... :D

dezertrzr

• View Profile

I`ve actually gotten to know Wullie pretty well lately and he`s definitely not interested in my map. But he tells it like it is and what he thinks of it and if you get butt hurt over it he wont loose any sleep. He`s got an incredible collection and knows his stuff. If you haven't seen it already ask him. If he wants to show you he will, If not he`ll tell you believe me. The world needs more people like Wullie to stir things up a bit, That knows what they`re talking about and tell it with no BS. Wullie for president!  8)  Lol.
So with that said does anyone know anything about this map? I`ve got a lot of stuff and you can`t keep everything so I`m torn between framing it because it`s kinda neat or taking it to the range and use it for sighting in a $2000 Trijicon scope I installed on a clients rifle. If I kept everything I thought was neat I`d be buried in things but don`t really want to punch holes in something that should be preserved and enjoyed. Someone has to know something about it. A friend of mine has shown me paintings & antiques worth an ungodly amount an he can`t even id some of these things I have so I don`t blame ya! We`ll just go on to the next obscure item, See what Wullie says.  ;D     

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Have you ever heard of the saying...."flogging a dead horse"...... ;D....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile

I`ve actually gotten to know Wullie pretty well lately and he`s definitely not interested in my map. But he tells it like it is and what he thinks of it and if you get butt hurt over it he wont loose any sleep. He`s got an incredible collection and knows his stuff. If you haven't seen it already ask him. If he wants to show you he will, If not he`ll tell you believe me. The world needs more people like Wullie to stir things up a bit, That knows what they`re talking about and tell it with no BS. Wullie for president!  8)  Lol.

So with that said does anyone know anything about this map? I`ve got a lot of stuff and you can`t keep everything so I`m torn between framing it because it`s kinda neat or taking it to the range and use it for sighting in a $2000 Trijicon scope I installed on a clients rifle. If I kept everything I thought was neat I`d be buried in things but don`t really want to punch holes in something that should be preserved and enjoyed. Someone has to know something about it. A friend of mine has shown me paintings & antiques worth an ungodly amount an he can`t even id some of these things I have so I don`t blame ya! We`ll just go on to the next obscure item, See what Wullie says.  ;D     
..Wullie,will be saying Nowt....as he,s caught his heid in a mangle and will be a  indisposed for the foreseable future... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)