Author Topic: Metal hide wrapped vases , trying to find orgin or any info  (Read 1112 times)

Kellibelli

• View Profile
Metal hide wrapped vases , trying to find orgin or any info
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:53:14 pm »
Just picked these up at a flea market, just looked neat. Seller knows nothing about them. I am from Gettysburg, pa if that helps. Please let me know if you can give me any insight, thanks for looking! There is not a single marker on them.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:56:05 pm by Kellibelli »

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Metal hide wrapped vases , trying to find orgin or any info
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum , KelliBelli .

Wish I could tell ya' , but I don't know .

The style seems west African to my old eyes , late @ night ....

I'd suggest that you look for signs of wear , in areas that seem 'natural' to the touch & base & so on , as towards getting some idea if your cool little items are recent manufacture , or well-used & older !
Sometimes items like these (for the tourist market) will have a distinctive 'waxy' feel to them , and can be made to imitate the look of 'authentic' items .

Can't really tell how large they are ..... looks as if there is a soldered/brazed joint in the neck of the round one .

Travels in Africa will often turn up some rather creative metal & claywork examples , some sorta like yours , for use within households ... holding oil , water & milk & such .

Regardless of all that , they look like cool hand-made folk art items !

Have you checked these little fellers with a magnet yet , KB ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Kellibelli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:21 pm »
Hey there and thanks for your response! They are magnetic, what does that tell? There is no waxy feel just rust, at the welds or what ever that is there is a gold appearance. They are 14" I'm height. I thought African too when I saw them. Just wish I could find a marker but nothing. Thanks again for your input!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:00:14 am »
Can you take a pic of the bottoms ?? Some similar types of wrapped bottles were for liquor and were Italian ( i think) imports !!