Author Topic: antique candle holder?  (Read 9980 times)

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
antique candle holder?
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:21 am »
I found this while cleaning out my new homes backyard.  I cannot find any markings, or dates on it but it appears to be made out of bronze, in the picture it looks rusty but it isn't.  Does anyone have a clue to what this may be.   The angel looks like he is holding a sword that is bent into his head, and on the left wing the is a face in the wing... kind of creepy. Hope someone can help.  Thank you for reading. 

cogar

• View Profile
Re: antique candle holder?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:40 am »
Now that is a goodern, .... looks like it hung from the ceiling.

I have never seen one like it, a picture or otherwise.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:20 am »
Unique to say the least!
What are the dimensions, and where on the planet are you located?

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:12:41 am »
Rauville, I am located in Apopka Florida.  It is roughly 2 feet in length, and about 1 foot in width.  From what I am hearing on the message board its a one of a kind!!   ;D

Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:08 am »
In Florida, huh?

You might have to check Spanish historical documents ....... and take it to someone that is smart enough to tell you what the metal is.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »
Here's a somewhat similar one that they identify as Gabriel. I would perhaps suggest that yours protrays the Archangel Michael, after slaying the devil. ???

http://www.rubylane.com/item/760314-1393/Scarce-Religious-Ceremonial-Archangel-Gabriel

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:58:34 pm »
The man with the Book that knows everything...has done it again....well done Rauville....hope you like these...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:09:48 pm »
Good one! Nice price,  too.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:44:18 pm »
That is so cool!!!! that is almost identical!  Tank you so much for the help.   I only started the account to find that out, but looks like I will start treasure hunting and see what else I can dig up !!! lol   Big thanks to  Rauville  for finding this!!!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:11 am »
I uploaded TIMNRY's photo and enlarged a section of it to show the details of the craftsmanship.

Thus, I still believe it to be an "original" hand-made, one-of-a-kind .... that is much, much older than the "repo" one that Rauville found listed on Ruby Lane.

PS: or you can "click" on TIMNRY's posted photo and then "click it" again to enlarge it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:42:09 am by cogar »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:41:20 am »
but if the repo one was buried in a backyard...for a few years..then it too would look like this one of a kind...don,t you think....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 05:58:45 am »
...don,t you think....

No I don't, the composition of the metals in the "repo" one would produce a different patina.

It is the "hand-tooled" design on the flat surfaces that defines it as an "old n' rare" one.

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:50 am »
Thank you guys so much for all of your help!!  Does anyone know of a reputable antique dealer that would be able to give me any kind of estimate, or maybe get a little more history about the piece locally in Florida? I may just hold on to it as it is very unique! but would like to know more about its origins.  Thanks to all who have taken the time to help me out!!  ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 08:12:56 am »
Sometimes when I look at these things I get a "feeling" if you want to call it that of where its from !!  For some reason Portugal hits on this one !!  Is there a history of Portugese settling in your area ??

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:22:16 am »
No that I am aware of.  I spoke to the company yesterday that had the "repro" up for auction, but they cared more about selling me the one that they had than to offer any insight to its origins.  To be honest the lady that answered the phone was quite rude!  I have always steered clear of the antiques places just because most that I have dealt with where the same way.  But from this message board I can see that there is bad/good apples in all walks of life lol.  You guys have been so helpful it is much appreciated!! The hardest part is to find out any information on the piece because there is very little on the web that lends any help.  Or maybe I just don't have a clue as to how to search the web for the right keywords.  I have also emailed Anthony Slayter-Ralph from antiques roadshow to hopefully find some information, although holding my breath for a response is probably not a great idea!