Author Topic: antique candle holder?  (Read 9978 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: antique candle holder?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 08:24:09 am »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 08:50:31 am »
Thank you, I emailed them as well!  Although the only contact us option was at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Hopefully they will have some answers if is indeed Portuguese.  Thank you  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 10:13:49 am »
Don`t misunderstand,, I said just a feeling,, I have absolutely no basis or knowledge of anything Portuguese !! So take it with a grain of sand !! Could be and most likely am way off base with this one !!

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:09 am »
I completely understand, I am just trying to find out what it is that I have and where it might have came from.  Trust me I have no knowledge what so ever in antiques, but I do know that there are no screws holding anything in place, and it looks as though it was hand made by someone who knew what they were doing!! so it would have to be old !! ;D ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:05 pm »
Don`t misunderstand,, I said just a feeling,, I have absolutely no basis or knowledge of anything Portuguese !! So take it with a grain of sand !! Could be and most likely am way off base with this one !!
try pinch of salt....you had a feeling it was Portuguese...now you think you,re way off base...just like a  woman...can never make their mind up.....no wonder i,ve not got any hair left.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 08:40:35 am »
So after scouring the internet and checking at the local museums, I was told the best thing to do is to send an e-mail to the Smithsonian Institute and see if they can identify the piece.  Lets hope that we can figure this out because it is killing me not knowing what this is or the history, or origins!!!!   Thanks again for everyone's help!!, if anyone can think of any other place that I can send pictures to get more information, please let me know.  Thank you

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 10:29:53 am »
I was just in Apopka, Mt. Dora, Sanford and Eustis!!!  Lotsa' family live all around that area!
I found some of my most prized antiques and vintage items there!!!!   Welcome!

For background folks, this area was full of settlers from all over.  You will find some of the most varied/diverse items!

I agree this is an old piece!!!!!

This might help...

My family/relatives were BIG citrus growers in this neck-of-the-woods (sold the groves and most are housing developments these days).  My grandfather purchased lots of land around the areas and there were several large settlements of peoples that might bear some significance on this piece.

There was a large Swedish Community in this area of FL.  In face, one of the larger ones was on my grandfather's property on Upsala Road in Sanford and the cemetary is still there AND the original church is still there!  Just got pics of it again last week!  http://swedishcluboforlando.blogspot.com/2009/11/uppsal-cemetary-sanford-florida-near.html

There was also a large Dutch settlement in that area that most folks don't know about.  (In fact the Dutch Mill Nursery owners/good friends ion Upsala Road across from the Swedish cemetery, are descendents of these settlers and are the most successful bulb growers - their biggest client is Disney!)   Good friends of my family!!  Just helped them celebrate 50 years in business last year!

Could be wrong...but your piece does bear resemblance to items I have seen from the Swedish community over the years!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:21:57 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:32 pm »
There is another avenue to look at !! I haven`t found anything from anywhere on it or another like it but its hard to search when you really don`t know what it is or what it is for !!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 06:12:20 am »
when you really don`t know what it is or what it is for !!!

We know from looking at the picture the following design criteria:

1. The candelabra was intentionally made in four (4) distinct parts/pieces, with three (3) moveable links holding the pieces together.

2. The large hole in the top of the topmost part was made to hang the candelabra from the ceiling or overhead beam, either via a peg, a nail or a rope/cord …. or from the end of a pole.

3. The center link was specifically designed to only permit movement in one (1) horizontal plane.

4. Given the topmost hole and the three (3) moveable links, I have to assume that this candelabra was made to withstand pretty much constant motion or swinging action, and if so, would explain the design of the center link as being a “damper” to stabilize the swinging movement.

Given the above, the pictured candelabra would have worked just fine hanging in the Captain’s quarters of a sailing ship/vessel … or carried hanging from the end of pole during a ceremony or parade.   

Another question is, what type, species or “icon” are those two bird figures supposed to represent? Knowing the answer to that question would probably determine its origin.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 01:14:03 pm »
I'm thinking religious but not for Christmas.  In vintage and older German items you will see delicate items made of wood and in Sweden you will see them made of brass for Christmas time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28772513@N07/7814135018/

Another one...but different in symbolism
http://www.etsy.com/listing/111435589/rare-vintage-wall-hangingcandle-holder

The birds remind me of ones you see all the time in Pennsylvania Dutch fabrics and art work!!!  AND the hex signs are very common of Pennsylvania Dutch - to ward off evil spirits.  This became popular during the witch hunts in the northeast!  So, leaning toward the Dutch settlements here....

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:31:06 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 05:54:17 pm »
I noticed that too KC but the hex signs are different from those I have seen that are PD !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »
Mart, there were/are so many hex signs it's amazing.  Did some research on them awhile back..and there were traditional ones and then there were the personalized ones.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 03:11:41 pm »
I'm still inclined to think that Saint Michael is depicted here, and the piece was possibly used for the yearly Feast of Saint Michael. ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michaelmas

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 08:42:55 am »
Thanks to everyone on all the help and information!!  I have yet to find anything out that definitively tells me where this came from.  I did however email a radio show host in Austin Texas " The antique Man"  Hopefully he can help out!  Thai is getting to be cray that we can find things that are soooooo similar, but not the same!!  I will continue to keep everyone updated if I find anything out.  Thanks again to all that have contributed !!! ;D :D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 09:16:08 am »
Rauville, I agree about Michael, but know that the Dutch would use items like this all year long as well.