Author Topic: antique candle holder?  (Read 9979 times)

TIMNRYAN

• View Profile
Re: antique candle holder?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 09:55:42 am »
I agree KC, I searched Dutch antique candelabra and found the same one that was posted on here.  I does appear to be Dutch, The age of the piece is what I would love to find out.  of the two that I have seen that were close, were not nearly as detailed as the one that I have.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:42 am »
Please do let us know !!  I am curious !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 08:12:01 pm »
If anyone has plans to watch Les Miserables, keep a watch out in the early part of the movie when Jean Valjean is in the church where the priest gives him refuge. In the scene where he paces frantically back and forth through what looks like a long 'hallway' or gallery (towards an alter of sorts and back), watch the ceiling area. I'm near positive I saw something very similar hanging over his head in two of the shots............hu bby refused to rewind and pause for me  :P

I've tried googling pictures from the actual church used (St. Mary the Virgin, Ewelme, Oxfordshire), but no luck in spotting them. Possibly this particular scene was shot in a staged setting.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 08:20:14 pm »
If anyone has plans to watch Les Miserables, keep a watch out in the early part of the movie when Jean Valjean is in the church where the priest gives him refuge. In the scene where he paces frantically back and forth through what looks like a long 'hallway' or gallery (towards an alter of sorts and back), watch the ceiling area. I'm near positive I saw something very similar hanging over his head in two of the shots............hu bby refused to rewind and pause for me  :P

I've tried googling pictures from the actual church used (St. Mary the Virgin, Ewelme, Oxfordshire), but no luck in spotting them. Possibly this particular scene was shot in a staged setting.
When you go to work next....be sure to take hubby,s stock of ciggies,..hide car keys, leave him with no money...then when you come home,just say,  "hiya sweetie did ya have a nice day"....but under yer breath it might be...miserable old **** ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
Don't mean the top of this, do you ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B1JdNIIGhjA/UI1XyP06G9I/AAAAAAAALZk/bmVkSwk0v54/s1600/IMG_6767.jpg

Nope!  Saw that and got really excited till I noticed what all was was attached.  The one I noticed was very similar to the poster's and definitely didn't have a mountain of metal hanging from it  ;)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 08:26:21 pm »

When you go to work next....be sure to take hubby,s stock of ciggies,..hide car keys, leave him with no money...then when you come home,just say,  "hiya sweetie did ya have a nice day"....but under yer breath it might be...miserable old **** (git ?) ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 08:40:26 pm »
Don't mean the top of this, do you ?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B1JdNIIGhjA/UI1XyP06G9I/AAAAAAAALZk/bmVkSwk0v54/s1600/IMG_6767.jpg
you,d be better getting in touch with Mart...she gets good milk bottle bottoms for a couple of $$...thats nowt like what,s on here.... ;D

Ipcress

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »
The hanging bit could be similar from a distance.

I've seen the film but have no idea what she's talking about.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 02:09:39 am »
She,s talking about the thing...that this topic is about....

Ipcress

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 06:13:39 am »
In the film !

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 07:24:27 am »
Are you being obtuse...or does it just come naturally...where else do you think she was talking about....

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2013, 07:26:11 am »
In the film !

Ipcress, if you remember the part in the film where JVJ paces back and forth from some sort of alter then along a corridor type area wondering how he can turn his life around (he then exits the church to the outside)........as he travels the length and back there are a couple of brief shots where what appears to be a similar type 'candle holder' is hanging over his head. I'm trying to remember if this is before or after he steals the silver from the church, thinking it's after.

Just wondering about country of origin. We've already mentioned Dutch, if this is in the church used for the scenes it's in the UK, if a staged scene it may be a prop for/from a French church. Here are two more similar style holders.......but with nothing concrete in origin either (both located in Indiana, US)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTG-Brass-ST-GEORGE-Crucifix-icon-Hanging-Candle-Holder-Russian-Dou-Headed-EAGLE-/150858809407#ht_1663wt_896

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VTG-Brass-ST-GEORGE-Crucifix-icon-Hanging-Candle-Holder-ENAMELED-/151009552803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2328dee9a3#ht_2070wt_896

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 07:35:16 am »
Found another.........but still no concrete info. >:(  This one is located in NY state.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/111714746/gothic-hanging-candle-holder?ref=v1_other_1

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:29 am »
They all seem to combine like/similar symbols.......with the exception being that TIMNRYAN's human figure has wings.