Author Topic: Research Going No Where!!!!!  (Read 4421 times)

freckles211

• View Profile
Research Going No Where!!!!!
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »
Hi

I have an Apothecary Box made by W Butcher & Co with some bottles inside.  I am struggling to find much info about the maker.  I have e mailed the science museum as they have one similar by the same maker, but unfortunately they couldn't tell me anything as the box is on loan to them.

It would be great if anyone can help me further?  Also would anyone have any idea of the value?

I will hopefully try & add pics.

Many thanks

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:50:29 pm by freckles211 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Research Going No Where!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:42:38 pm »
http://jp29.org/wwbutcher.htm

Do all those bottles stand up while in the box ??  Butcher and Co were knife makers !! Do all of the bottles have a designated place in the box or just haphazardly place in there !!  Do the bottles have different company labels ?? The way your box is designed may have been a combination,, But those drawers look like they were for knives !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »
Can you tell me the street that is on the tag ?? Possibly another family member but need to know all it says also on the front plate !!

freckles211

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 06:05:03 pm »
Hi

It says W Butcher & Co Regent St W & also at Blackheath.  I cannot make out the number of the st though.There is no front plate.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 07:30:19 pm »
A blurb from 'The Homeopathic World' Volume 25, Dec. 1, 1890.

Still looking ;-)

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:31:51 pm »
In 1869 William Butcher began practicing as a registered pharmacist in his firm of Wm Butcher & Co wholesale homoeopathic chemists of Blackheath, England.

In 1889, William Buther Sr. and his son William Fredrick established a small camera
factory, and were pioneers in the wholesaling of photographic apparatus and materials amongst retail chemists.

In 1899, W. Butcher & Son, are London agents for Mr. McKellan's Cathedral hand camera.

1902 W. Butcher and Son became W. Butcher and Sons.

By 1903, the photographic and pharmaceutical aspects of the business were separated, and a private limited company formed with premises at Camera House, Farringdon Avenue, E.C.

On, Dec 21, 1903 Wm. Butcher Sr. died

1913 The firm's name was changed to W. Butcher and Sons Ltd., to include another son working in the business.

In 1915, with six of the principal photographic firms in London, he assisted in forming the British Photographic Industries, Ltd., employing over 3,000 people. Wm. F. Butcher was Vice-
Chairman of this Company. The company called the Houghton-Butcher Manufacturing Co. Ltd.

In 1926 the two principal companies, Houghton and Butcher’s, were merged into Ensign, Ltd., at Holborn.

On January 12th, 1936 Wm. F. Butcher died. (born 1866)

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:33:21 pm »
gg gets the prize tonight!!  :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Butcher

Heck !!  I just found it !!  GG found more info though !!  Excellent work GG27 !!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »
Shot of an ad from 'The Banner of Holiness'  Sept. 30, 1875......with mention of medicine chests.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 07:44:13 pm »
They also were agents for  a couple of magic lantern mfrs !! My first answer was different Butcher !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:18 pm »
Thanks!!  Sometimes you just get lucky.  It's a really neat old box, but then I have a thing for old wood boxes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:57:26 pm »
We will take that kind of luck any time !! ;)

freckles211

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 11:15:10 pm »
Hi

So is it rare?  What do you think I should look at selling it at?

So having found out some history do you think it will make a difference to the price?

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 12:42:16 am »
Your location certainly makes a difference.  And how are you going to sell it?  Are you a dealer with a shop (retail) or will you sell it through an high end auction house or??? (wholesale)  Boxes here aren't selling as well as they once did, although apothecary items still have a following, but nothing like they did 10 years ago.  Also I can't really see how the bottles fit in the box, so I'm not sure what's there & what is missing.  More detail photos would certainly help.  GG

Ipcress

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:32 am »
William Frederick Butcher established a pharmacy business in Blackheath in 1866. By the 1890s an interest in photography was developing to the more active supply of chemical and materials for photographic use. By the early 1890s the business was increasingly active as manufacturers and had a retail address in Regent Street, London. By 1895 W. Butcher & Son was advertising a range of photographic products under the Primus trademark. The firm moved to Camera House, Farringdon Avenue, London WC in 1904.

One of my interests is film memorabilia and i have some early heralds and promotional booklets for Butchers Films, from the start of the 20th century. It's the same company !

Butcher Snr committed suicide in 1903 and it was F W Baker who moved the firm onwards from there

All we need now is the candlestick maker.