Author Topic: Caring For Antique Tin Rust  (Read 919 times)

Stuff-For-Sale

Caring For Antique Tin Rust
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:31:26 pm »
Hi, I have lots of antique tins. I would like to clean some of them up and I was wondering if the cover of the tin has rust, but no paint at all, is it still ok to sand it?

Thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Caring For Antique Tin Rust
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »
Your antique tins would cease to be antique..if you took to sanding them down...leave them alone...but if you feel the need to protect them..from further deterioration...the n you could spray them with laquer,..which will stop the air getting to them,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:37:40 pm »
Don`t sand !!   Why would you want to do something like that ?? Totally destroys any value they have !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:07 pm »
Good question , S-F-S !

A couple of other suggestions from my peanut gallery would be to use a paste wax (will remove a small bit of rust , just from application & light buffing) , an aerosol wax (furniture polish) , or food-grade mineral oil - all of these suggestions are for UNPAINTED tin containers , by the by - followed by a complete & gentle wipe-down/off & light hand buffing with a cotton rag ... not as 'serious' as a coat of laq. , much easier (& cheaper) to recoat .
A gentle wash with hot water & a complete rinsing & drying would be in order , prior to using any of the above simple methods .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:43:32 pm »
Like Fancy said just a buff with soft cloth and light mineral oil !! Or walnut oil if you have some for your cutting board !! For that matter any oil you use in the kitchen would work the same including the cooking sprays !!  Just wipe well afterward !! It will also keep the rust in check !!