Author Topic: Any one have any idea what this could be??  (Read 3735 times)

nosam44

• View Profile
Any one have any idea what this could be??
« on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »
Hey guys I found this while going through some stuff of my grandparents, any idea what it is. I've searched for bureau of numerical identification and for the all digit naming system with no success, please help!! P.S. I have covered up the actual number, don't ask me why lol

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Any one have any idea what this could be??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
just what this place does,nt need...a paranoid..poster who thinks we,re gonna steal his grandparents number...then log on to some  computer and chat with the Chief of Numbers...give us a break...do you think we came up the river on a banana boat...... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

nosam44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »
just what this place does,nt need...a paranoid..poster who thinks we,re gonna steal his grandparents number...then log on to some  computer and chat with the Chief of Numbers...give us a break...do you think we came up the river on a banana boat...... ;D

haha sorry but after being on the internet for a while you start to take certain precautions, do you have any idea what this bureau of numbers is or anything?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
Bigwull, please do not unload your sarcasm on new members. Some people do not understand your sense of humor. It is a legitimate question. To me it looks like vintage geek humor. It may just be the next collecting rage. It is probably from the 1980s. Gotta run. The turnip truck is going back for a reload.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 05:47:04 pm »
I think its for the phone system !!  50`s and 60`s all U.S. phone numbers started with a two letter alphabetical designation !!  Mine was  AT5 or Atlantic 5 !!  Later they changed it to 285 !!  Same,, but you had to use the numbers instead of the letters !!  They didn`t have area codes then !! All the changes were made by area so not everyone changed at the same time !!  Kind of phased it in !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »
That was a no brainer, Mart. I should have realized that. Duh!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 06:05:05 pm »
Bigwull, please do not unload your sarcasm on new members. Some people do not understand your sense of humor. It is a legitimate question. To me it looks like vintage geek humor. It may just be the next collecting rage. It is probably from the 1980s. Gotta run. The turnip truck is going back for a reload.
Who do you think your talking to...as for my "sarcasm" you want to read it again...before sticking yer nose in.....this new member found it funny...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

nosam44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »
I think its for the phone system !!  50`s and 60`s all U.S. phone numbers started with a two letter alphabetical designation !!  Mine was  AT5 or Atlantic 5 !!  Later they changed it to 285 !!  Same,, but you had to use the numbers instead of the letters !!  They didn`t have area codes then !! All the changes were made by area so not everyone changed at the same time !!  Kind of phased it in !!

Hey thank you very much for your response mart. It is a 15 digit number though, so are you sure? do you know where i could find any more info on this?

nosam44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:15:38 pm »
and I did find your comment funny bigwull but thank you for your concern frogpatch :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »
Not if its a fifteen digit number !! But since we couldn`t see it,,, !!  Where are you located ??

nosam44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »
I'am located in northern michigan! here ill just upload a pic of the whole number i dont really care haha

nosam44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 06:27:59 pm »
Not if its a fifteen digit number !! But since we couldn`t see it,,, !!  Where are you located ??
northern michigan haha here ill try and upload a pic with the number in it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 08:06:21 pm »
Heard that there was an id assigned when first computers came out!?!?!?

Was this with anything else?  What is it taped to?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange_names
Here is the info on phone system change !!
Only thing I could find that used a fifteen digit number is for livestock but that was fairly recent !!  
This has got to be a joke of some sort !! Nothing exists that follows this note !!  And since it says that family may call you by your first number,, and nothing exists that uses a single ID number for a person !!  Yet you have to use the whole thing when talking to a "computer" !!  It has to be a joke !!  Maybe early in the computer use years !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 08:22:31 pm »
Heard that there was an id assigned when first computers came out!?!?!?

Was this with anything else?  What is it taped to?

Just checked that KC and those were combo alphabetical and numerical codes and were only used very early  !!  This just doesn`t read like anything serious !! And no name is listed for the" Chief "just a fifteen digit number !!  I think someone was trying to pull one on this person !!