Author Topic: Antique Plate  (Read 4352 times)

acschneid

Antique Plate
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:08 pm »
Hi there. I'm new to the forum. Looks like a great place.

I received a plate from my grandmother in law after she passed away.

I have tried to research this plate on line and can't find any information about it. It doesn't have any words on it, so that makes it a bit more difficult to search, but there is a picture of what appears to be a queen. I'm more interested in the history of the plate versus what its worth, although I'm always curious. I included a couple pictures.

Thanks!
Andrew

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Antique Plate
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:03:32 pm »
Are there any marks at all on the back? Like a symbol? The decor reminds me of Royal Worcester that I have seen. I have a small piece with similar decoration that has a Sevres copycat mark on it.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »
The portrait looks a great deal like a young Queen Victoria but I am not sure.
[/url]https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1089&bih=704&q=young+queen+victoria+images&oq=young+queen+victoria&gs_l=img.1.1.0l10.3308.10564.0.13195.20.9.0.11.11.0.81.618.9.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.7.img.V36ys1BW1rk#imgrc=py6G34td1rx9EM%3A%3BUjydnorLzWSJDM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.usborne.com%252Fimages%252Fcovers%252Feng%252Fwidth_223px%252Fqueen-victoria.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.usborne.com%252Fcatalogue%252Fcatalogue.aspx%253Fid%253D6849%3B223%3B333

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »
Here is an example of the porcelain. This piece is from 1901. Mine is from 1793. The style was made for a long time. Look at the blue and gold decor and the painting.
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17836/lot/187/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:39 pm »
Sure looks like her Frogpatch !!  Need to see the back of this plate !!

Cre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:10 pm »
Wow..that is gorgeous!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »

Not a chance in hell that is Royal Worcester. Sorry, Frogpatch !

At a push, might be some weird Chamberlains armorial type plate

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:09 am »
Nice reaction there. What makes you so sure? I did my research in the MMA in New York. I can show you examples from their collection from the late 1700s. The same style was produced again in the late Victorian era. This plate in this picture is hard to see but it is marked and was closely compared to the Met collection first hand. It is entirely hand painted and not transfer decorated. Later pieces were probably a combination of both. Look closely at the gold decoration and fine beading on the plate. I am not saying that it is, I am saying that it looks a lot like other examples I have seen first hand. I was in the business for 40 years. Next time you do not agree try to be a little more diplomatic.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:21:39 am by frogpatch »

acschneid

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:13 am »
Thanks, all, for the thoughts.

Frogpatch: There's absolutely no markings on the back, save a gold plated ring. Attached is a picture. The last example picture you provided is hard to make out, but it doesn't look like the same style. Of course, I'm not an expert and the picture is a little blurry.  It does, however, seem like it might be a young queen Victoria. Her nose is unique and very similar to the images in the Google search you provided. It does look very similar to this style, however: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17836/lot/187/  The brush strokes and style are very similar, although the vase on the bonhams site is much more carefully painted / symmetrical, which leads me to believe mine is older (does that make sense?) or just done more poorly. I do know that the collection that this came had quite a few very rare pieces.

Anyway, I attached a few more pictures, in hopes that might help.

Thanks again!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 09:12:28 am »
This style has been revived as noted earlier, several times.  It is a beautiful piece.  One of those that may need a hands on inspection!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:17 pm »
Nice reaction there. What makes you so sure? I did my research in the MMA in New York. I can show you examples from their collection from the late 1700s. The same style was produced again in the late Victorian era. This plate in this picture is hard to see but it is marked and was closely compared to the Met collection first hand. It is entirely hand painted and not transfer decorated. Later pieces were probably a combination of both. Look closely at the gold decoration and fine beading on the plate. I am not saying that it is, I am saying that it looks a lot like other examples I have seen first hand. I was in the business for 40 years. Next time you do not agree try to be a little more diplomatic.

Diplomatic!!.Ha..I,m surprised you,re not choking on that word...and I suppose you were being Diplomatic when you gave me a round of the guns...on the day you were chasing that neep truck....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:10:21 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 01:13:49 pm »
What's a neep truck?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:28:01 pm »
a neep truck is ..a truck full of Turnips....see here more images of neeps...Neeps ..are also people with not much grey matter stuck between their lugs....local saying  in  my home town.... ;D

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=neeps&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U69MUY6uIoWo0QWJ_IDoDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=624
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 10:30:59 am »

I think the picture of the back has confirmed it's not Royal Worcester. Not seen tha shape with holes used by them, colours slightly wrong for them...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 05:55:50 pm »
Regarding the form of the piece and the decoration, I must reconsider my opinion until I do more research.
Bigwull you are the one that insulted the new member. Again.