Author Topic: Need help datin g a chest of drawers.  (Read 17757 times)

robgil

• View Profile
Re: Need help datin g a chest of drawers.
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »
And you,re not tied to using oak..almost any hardwood will do...beech,ash,sycamore...or even a bit of Ramin....yeah toasty tootsies and a pint or two of Caffreys....much better than that English Pish...that masquerades as beer...yeah the English might be good at making Yorkshire puds but they sure as hell can,t make a decent beer.... ;D

More of a Guinness man myself, or a wee shot of Jamesons (or a wee jot of the white whiskey for special occasions, like after a Guinness).

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 02:07:41 pm »
I'm a lucky boy, The runners under the drawer are removable so , I can remove and replace with new however they are mahogany so I will have to wait until I get some.
I'm afraid I dont have a band saw but its never stopped me before. ;D

Replacing the drawer "runners" won't solve your problem.

That would be akin to adding a piece on the two (2) back chair legs to make all 4 the same length ... in an attempt to make it set level on an uneven or slanting floor.

A bandsaw is handy and the easiest to use for cutting small pieces, but having one is not a prerequisite. You can easily cut along that "scribe" line with a bandsaw.

A radial arm or table saw will work fine also ..... but cutting the "taper" defined by the scribe line is tricky. HA, if you have a newer radial arm with the "lazer" for adjusting the "swing" angle then no problem.  

But those shims won't be any more than 5" or 8" long so bout any hand saw will work, .... even a hacksaw.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 02:30:16 pm »

Is it plausible to chisel the runner flat where the drawer has worn it then glue in some new wood? It wouldnt take much, probably 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch.

"....from what I see here the simplest solution would be for you to do the job by proxy....he can give you all the fine measurements...in metric then you can convert them to inches so that you don,t get confused with our metric system.....ya know mm, cm m.
then you can make all the bits and then post them to him...bearing in mind you will have to convert all your measurement details into metric so that he can understand......"now if all this sounds like Gobbledygook....wel l, think what you,re doing to us... ;D ;D

Now Wullie, note above, he gave dimensions in inches, ..... I replied inkind.

And metric is no problem, justa little rusty maybe. ... I was Science degreed ya know.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:24 pm »

Is it plausible to chisel the runner flat where the drawer has worn it then glue in some new wood? It wouldnt take much, probably 1/4 inch x 1/2 inch.

"....from what I see here the simplest solution would be for you to do the job by proxy....he can give you all the fine measurements...in metric then you can convert them to inches so that you don,t get confused with our metric system.....ya know mm, cm m.
then you can make all the bits and then post them to him...bearing in mind you will have to convert all your measurement details into metric so that he can understand......"now if all this sounds like Gobbledygook....wel l, think what you,re doing to us... ;D ;D

Now Wullie, note above, he gave dimensions in inches, ..... I replied inkind.

And metric is no problem, justa little rusty maybe. ... I was Science degreed ya know.
Well, seeing as how you,re Science degreed....you,should know that there ain,t no Z in Laser.. ;D.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:46 pm »

You two at it again....laZer is in Wikipedia!  LOLOL

FYI Robgil,   I had a treasured chest that the top split.  Didn't want to redo finish either.  So I simply cut a new piece of wood to perfectly fit on top of the top and finished it off.  Looks great.  Unfortunately it is in storage for now and can't get in to get a pic.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »

You two at it again....laZer is in Wikipedia!  LOLOL

FYI Robgil,   I had a treasured chest that the top split.  Didn't want to redo finish either.  So I simply cut a new piece of wood to perfectly fit on top of the top and finished it off.  Looks great.  Unfortunately it is in storage for now and can't get in to get a pic.
There might be a Z in Lazer.from Wiki...but there ain,t no Z in the Laser on a Radial arm saw....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Lazer may refer to:

Laser, a device which generates a beam of light
    Lazer, Hautes-Alpes, France
    Panther Lazer, a car
    Lazer 103, a Wisconsin radio station
    Lazer 99.3, a Massachusetts radio station

you were saying.... ::)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 06:22:14 pm »
Le Gasp
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2013, 03:58:02 am »
Well, seeing as how you,re Science degreed....you,should know that there ain,t no Z in Laser.. ;D.

And der tain't no ain't in laser either.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 07:17:06 am »
He picked up our Texas slang, Cogar !!  Bigwull is turning  Texan !!! ;)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 08:49:45 am »
He picked up our Texas slang, Cogar !!  Bigwull is turning  Texan !!! ;)
you should be so lucky...more like you learning Scots... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:12 am »
Ha !!!  Getting pretty good at deciphering yours !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:42 pm »
Mart, I love that he used a comma in ain,t !    That ain't right Wullie!!!

(Mart, maybe his ole' computer doesn't have an apostrophe!) :)

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2013, 10:40:29 pm »
All I'd care to add might be .... since the aforementioned 'rails' are not so much of a pain to remove ... a suggestion to take them out of your cabinet , check them with a magnet for metal , lay it on a tablesaw & simply cut off & square-up the piece to receive a fresh piece (as in a squared-up 'shim') glued & clamped , after proper hair-pulling & triple-checking for proper operation & fit of the drawer(s) .
If you're lacking a tablesaw , substitue a wood chisel !

You'll save some of the original & not have a full-replacement issue ... it does seem to me , after viewing so many of the posted pics (thanks for that , robgil) , that this piece has had a series of repairs in the past !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2013, 05:08:58 am »
One more suggestion from this ole cabinetmaker n’ fixer-upper is that you don’t worry about the drawer “slides” until after you get the rails inside the cabinet repaired because doing that will probably solve all your problems.

Now I say that because most all of the “wear” on the drawer “slides” will be on the back end and very little to none on the front end, therefore, even though the “wear” on the back end will cause the back end of the drawer to “drop” down some, but due to the length of the drawer, it really shouldn’t be noticeable when looking at the front of the cabinet.   

Now you can check those drawer “slides” ahead of time to see how much “fixin” they need ….. by placing the drawers on a flat tabletop so that they are resting on the “slides”, …. then placing a “square” on the table and against the drawer front …… and the “gap” between the square and the top of the drawer front not only tells you how much the back end of the “slide” has been worn down ….. but how much the top of the drawer is going to be “off vertical”  or leaning back in from the top edge of the drawer opening.

Now I don’t mean to offend anyone by offering a different opinion, but if I have, I apologize. And so that you will know where I am “coming from” I will post pictures, … in a “new” post, …. of a couple cabinets that I made for the wifey. But first I’ll have to “upload” the pictures to Photobucket. 

Cheers

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:26 am »
Mart, I love that he used a comma in ain,t !    That ain't right Wullie!!!

(Mart, maybe his ole' computer doesn't have an apostrophe!) :)
If it does have an apostrophe..tab,.this old brain can,t find it....so a comma is the next best thing...cause after all, its only an upside down apostrophe..... ;D