Author Topic: Chair from Oak Bar Plaza Hotel  (Read 4599 times)

2x4misc

Chair from Oak Bar Plaza Hotel
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:02:17 pm »
Hey All,

Need some input and feedback again. I bought this chair at an amazing Estate Sale today in Washington, DC from a house that is right across the street from the Vice President's Mansion at the Naval Observatory.  The woman in her 80's advised that her grandfather was a regular at the Oak Bar in the Plaza Hotel in New York and as a regular, at some point, he was given this wooden hand carved chair that came from the Oak Bar.  It has a rounded back and was advised that the way to identify these chairs as unique to the Oak Bar, since they are alleged to be made for the bar when it opened in the early 1900's, is the engraved Oak Tree on the back of the chair which is clearly visible.

My question is - has anyone ever seen a chair that came from that Hotel? Anyone have any thoughts on the style of the chair?

Thoughts? I am trying to get something in writing from the woman but not sure the estate sale dealer will be able to make that happen.

Thanks!!
Ray

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Chair from Oak Bar Plaza Hotel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 04:28:26 pm »
Have you bought it to keep...or move on?
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

2x4misc

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:09:39 pm »
Keeper.  I paid $260 and it does look good in my den regardless of the history of it.

- Ray

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »
I've never heard of this, but your story along with the pictures seems plausible enough.

This looks like a custom variant of late Renaissance or Classical Revival, probably from the first decade or so of the 20th century. The price you paid seems steep, but probably worth it if you like the association. 
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

2x4misc

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:47:04 am »
What is it worth without the story? Under normal circumstances? $125?

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:23 am »
Around here about $75 at most, at least in that condition.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:13 am »
Yes, price was a little steep but I guess not if you are going to keep it !!  For any signicant value you would need to know who made the chair !!  How many were made ect !!  Just like any piece if fine furniture,, if it was a well known cabinet maker of the time would be worth a bit more than ordered from a catalogue !!  Simply because it was from this bar is not enough unless you are just into the history of the hotel !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:10:32 am »
Well said,  Mart!

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:22 am »
You'd struggle to get £10 for that in the UK.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:06 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:20 am »
Well, personally I like the chair just because it is different !!  I hate anything that everyone has "one of " !!  So if it looks good in your den,,, you did OK !!  Just for curiosity sake,, you might look into the history of the hotel and the Oak Bar !! Might find something interesting !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:36:50 pm »
I love the chair and the story. In New York you could sell that for twice to three times what you paid if you can authenticate it. Take a picture and send it to some of the well known galleries in New York. The others must have been sold before at auction. Provenance is everything. Especially when passed down.

2x4misc

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:40 pm »
Hey Frogpatch and Mart,

I like it which is why I bought it and like I mentioned, it looks great in my den. Also, part of the fun is doing the research although sometimes you have to make the decision to buy first then research and there is a potential downside on doing that too often (ha). My batting average at Estate Sales is very good but sometimes I buy based on the "cool" factor then come here for advice and input. I will now move on to some contacts in New York and see where the trail takes me next.

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
Ray

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 05:18:18 pm »
I did some looking around and it seems there were two liquidations at the Plaza !! First was most of the furniture below collector value,,like your chair,, second part was sold by Christies and it was all the higher end stuff !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:42 pm »
I like it too!

It would be great if you could find history on the bar and who frequented it.  No telling who's bum sat in it!!!  :)

Interesting links
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/06/nyregion/oak-room-at-plaza-hotel-plaza-is-scheduled-to-close.html?_r=0

Contents of fabled Plaza Hotel go on sale
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/hotels/2006-03-15-plaza-hotel-sale_x.htm

http://www.remembertheplaza.com/miscellaneous.htm#matches
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:14:02 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!